Machines To Remove Linoleum Glue. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Machines to remove linoleum glue.

Hey team,

I've removed all the linoleum across my entire house. And as you might have guessed, the glue is still of course all over the place. It's roughly 2500 sq. ft. of area to have completely cleaned so that I may stain the concrete in the coming weeks.

To do this, I've heard of many chemicals that can help. These range from simple soap and water to specialized adhesive removers. However, I'm unsure of which type of machine to use to help me out with this job. I'll be renting from Home Depot, and I was wondering if I should rent a 'Floor Polisher' or 'Floor Sander'.

The answer may be obvious, but if I sand the floor can it damage my concrete foundation and cause deep scratches? It looks like Home Depot even offers 'Floor Strippers', but I think those are just to remove the linoleum and not the glue?

Maybe order a Floor Polisher and attach it with one of these?:

http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...569/index.html

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

Advertisement

MKMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,020

Re: Machines to remove linoleum glue.

Time for a plan B on what to put down on that floor.
Even if you scraped off all the old glue on the surface there's still going to be some in the pores.
Stain is just that, it needs to be able to soak in to work.
You'll end up with a blotchy finish, and some will just rub off where it floats instead of soaking in.
Bud9051 likes this.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Time for a plan B on what to put down on that floor.
Even if you scraped off all the old glue on the surface there's still going to be some in the pores.
Stain is just that, it needs to be able to soak in to work.
You'll end up with a blotchy finish, and some will just rub off where it floats instead of soaking in.
Joe is exactly right.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 406

I noticed that they have scraper blades for sawzall/reciprocating saws, saw them at Lowe's last week. Might be worth a try if you already have the saw.

ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14,020

All that would do is get off the high places, which is fine if your prepping for a tile floor.