LVT Over Radiant Floor Mats? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

LVT over radiant floor mats?

Hey all, getting to the finishing touches on my bathroom remodel and I'm considering whether or not I want to try and tackle electric radiant floor heat. I am planning on putting down LVT but I'm wondering if there is any approved heating mats out there that I can apply the LVT and adhesive over top of without pouring SLC or spreading thinset over everything?

I've seen one that is an underlayment type that you can roll out over the floor and then use normal underlayment anywhere there is no heat mats so you have the same level floor throughout...just not sure the adhesive from the LVT will adhere to that? I'd hate to have them peel up overtime.

This is the only one that looks promising.

https://www.thermosoft.com/radiant-floor-heat

Thoughts?

Advertisement

apguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 6,652

This is why that product works with carpet and LVT. "For glued laminate and wood floors, glue ThermoFloor to the subfloor, then glue the laminate or wood floor to ThermoFloor.

For wall-to-wall carpet, carpet tile, and vinyl, install fiberboard over ThermoFloor"

Advertisement

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-28-2016 at 03:19 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
This is why that product works with carpet and LVT. "For glued laminate and wood floors, glue ThermoFloor to the subfloor, then glue the laminate or wood floor to ThermoFloor.

For wall-to-wall carpet, carpet tile, and vinyl, install fiberboard over ThermoFloor"
Like an idiot I must have overlooked that statement on their website. I was wondering how the tiles would be applied over the mats. I was just assuming the mats were laid down and the tiles glued on top to act like a "floating floor". Thanks for pointing that out.

Now I'll ask, has anyone used these? how did they perform? Ease of install?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 6,652

If you do a search in the tile forum, you will find a few.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Ok, I've scoured the interweb and have done nothing but make myself more confused. Looking at their installation pdf file it looks as though for vinyl tile installation you lay out the heating pad/pads. Then install a 1/8" fiber board/hardboard underlayment over that to install carpet, vinyl tiles or carpet tiles. I'm no tile expert but that does not sound like a sound setup to me. Nor does it say anything about that as an approved underlayment in duraceramic installation guidelines. I've got an email out to thermosoft but I may call them tomorrow to clarify. Surely someone has used these somewhere in the world with duraceramic or tarkett lvt WITHOUT a slc base but I'm coming up dry. Everyone seems to use the wire type in a bed of thinset/slc.

I'd be much more inclined to use congoleums underflor underlayment over the heat pads and the rest of the floor but not sure if that's acceptable to use over them either. I'll be picking out tile tomorrow so hopefully the folks at the tile store will have some insight.

Last edited by apguy; 01-28-2016 at 09:09 PM.