Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

LVT Over Leveler on Concrete Floor

I am putting down Luxury Vinyl Tile (6" x 36" planks - 100% vinyl the whole way through) on my basement floor. The concrete floor is smooth but slopes drastically to the floor drain. The slope is about 3/4" over 8". So, I need a self leveler for concrete that can go from 3/4" to feather edge. My local Lowes has both MAPEI Self Leveler (about $30 per bag) and TEC Skill Set "Self Leveling Underlayment" about $37 per bag. Is anyone familiar with both of these products and which do you recommend?

There are also expansion joints in this area. I believe I am supposed to keep the joints. However, when I put down the vinyl floor, I am supposed to have the gaps filled so the don't show through the floor.

Last edited by OhioDon; 08-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.
OhioDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,088

Don,

Both of those products will perform as described if used exactly directed.

Let's talk about the plan first. What are you doing to the drain that will be covered?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Don,

Both of those products will perform as described if used exactly directed.

Let's talk about the plan first. What are you doing to the drain that will be covered?

Jaz
Sorry, cabinets will be over the drain. The total sloped area is probably 15 feet wide by 20 feet long.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Tileguy

So, the area that needs leveling will be a half moon or maybe 3/4? How do you plan to get access to the drain? Will you be able to pour water down that drain every few years?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
So, the area that needs leveling will be a half moon or maybe 3/4? How do you plan to get access to the drain? Will you be able to pour water down that drain every few years?

Jaz
I think the area is more of a rectangle than a half moon.

I am going to put a PVC coupler on the drain pipe (not glued) to extend it to the top of the self leveling product. This drain will be under the cabinets and the kitchen sink in the cabinets will run into this drain. When the plumber (might be me!) needs to connect the sink drain, he can pull the coupler out and glue whatever he needs onto the existing pipe.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDon
This drain will be under the cabinets and the kitchen sink in the cabinets will run into this drain.
Not a good plan at all and completely illegal, I'm sure.

That floor drain has a trap which will restrict flow and will get clogged with any debris. Why not have it done right cuz someday you may be forced to anyway?

Jaz

Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Not a good plan at all and completely illegal, I'm sure.

That floor drain has a trap which will restrict flow and will get clogged with any debris. Why not have it done right cuz someday you may be forced to anyway?

Jaz
I'm sorry, I don't understand; Are you saying it's illegal because it's under cabinets or because I'm putting a sink into a floor drain?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonOhio
I'm sorry, I don't understand; Are you saying it's illegal because it's under cabinets or because I'm putting a sink into a floor drain?
Both. Even if you weren't hooking a drain to it. The floor drain has a trap which needs occasional clean water poured into it otherwise the trap will dry up and then you'll get sewer gas backing up. In an extreme case it's methane gas, people die from that.

The floor drain is not made to handle water and its possible debris one might have from a plate of food. Do you know what a floor drain looks like?

Sometimes some people () have installed carpeting or laminate over a floor drain only to find they need to get to it cuz now the basement smells like a swamp.

No kitchen sink drain to a floor drain. Keep it uncovered and if the floor doesn't flood, (hope not) pour a gallon of fresh water down each drain now and then.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (08-12-2013)