Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring

I'm planning to use LVT flooring on part of our basement floor. The current floor is unfinished concrete with open expansion joints. I was told by a salesman that I would need to fill the expansion joints with something before installing the LVT floor. Part of the floor will be carpet. Do the joints also need to be filled under carpet? What product do I use to fill these expansion joints and how is it installed?

OhioDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

I'd go ahead and fill it all while you are at it. You'll need some backer rod to fit the gaps you have. Press this into the joint to give you a base to apply the joint filler. Then use a product like Sonnelastic NP1 to fill up the joint. You can get it in caulk tubes and it isn't much more difficult to use than regular caulk. Just make sure you get a good caulk gun for it. The stuff is thick and hard to push with cheap guns. Smooth out the surface with a little paint thinner when you are done applying the bead.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDon View Post
I'm planning to use LVT flooring on part of our basement floor. The current floor is unfinished concrete with open expansion joints. I was told by a salesman that I would need to fill the expansion joints with something before installing the LVT floor. Part of the floor will be carpet. Do the joints also need to be filled under carpet? What product do I use to fill these expansion joints and how is it installed?
I specialized in amtico and karndean which are high end lvts.
Concrete floor is relatively easy but must be checked for moisture first, especially a basement. If readings come out ok then sweep every last bit of dirt, I mean spotlessly clean. then use a primer with either a brush or paint roller.When this is done I personally use a self levelling compound a water mix one for the whole floor not just for joints. 24 hours later rub the snots of with a carborundum block. A scraper will do but you can't see the high spots.
You could feather the joints and then feather the whole room but your floor would have to be pretty good to start with but if you gonna spend good money on flooring then you may as well do it right
midnightfox is offline   Reply With Quote