Luan Over Sub Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Luan over Sub Flooring

First a little back-story, we just purchased a home from a contractor that had "rehab" and flipped it. No warranties expressed or implied. I did have it inspected and it passed with "flying colors", yeah right. Note that this house is a split and the living and kitchen is upstairs.

The kitchen did not have a dishwasher or room for one so I removed the cabinets to rearranged them in a way to accommodate the dishwasher and a larger frig. That's where the trouble starts; I need to tile in an area that was under a previously installed cabinet. This is where I discovered that all the NEW ceramic tile in the kitchen and dining area is laid over a sub floor of unknown thickness that had 1/8" luan laid over it and the tile is set directly on the luan. What to do, what to do. My first thought is to wait until all the tiles pop off then rip it down and do it correctly or should I tear all that new tile out and do a floating engineered wood floor over the original sub floor immediately.

How long does this current floor have to live before it fails, any ideas out there.

Advertisement

jj&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Luan over Sub Flooring

While it is definitely a lousy instillation job, there are a number of variables that could effect your floor's life expectancy including deflection and just plain dumb luck.

I suspect an Ouija board will give you as good an answer as anyone here could.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
jj&j (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Luan over Sub Flooring

Thanks for the response and I know your correct. Mainly I was venting to a great degree and the folks that use this site can identify with that.

I suppose I will learn how long it takes as there is no time right now to replace what's there. Hey, I need something to do this winter anyway, gives me a purpose.
jj&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Luan over Sub Flooring

Yeah, it sux finding stuff like that.

If it is any consolation, you're not alone when it comes to buying a home previously owned by a...., well, lets say "intellectually challenged individual."

My house's previous owner - DIY horror stories
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote