Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Lots of questions about installing Allure Ultra

I posted this message at the end of an old thread, but only got one response. Thought I would try making a new thread in hopes of getting some more feedback. Thanks!

I'm just starting the research part of our flooring project... please bear with me I have a *lot* of questions!

We live in a home that was built in 2003, and had the cheapest builder flooring installed. We have four different flooring types - carpet, sheet vinyl, ceramic tile and something they call "engineered wood". From what I understand it's very thin strips of real wood, maple in our case, glued to the same base as a laminate floor.

The only areas of the floor that are not having trouble is the vinyl sheet. The carpet is stained and worn, the tile grout is dirty and cannot be cleaned, and the wood has been grooved to death by our dog's nails (two 35 lb Shelties). My plan is to replace every bit of flooring in the house with something more durable, and right now Allure Ultra is looking like a good choice.

I don't know what the subfloors are made of. The second floor is probably some sort of wood, the first floor could be concrete. There is no basement. There should not be a moisture problem, even though we're in Western Oregon aka The Land of Rain, because there's a large crawl space under the entire house.

I have come to Allure Ultra via a process of elimination. We can't do hardwood or carpet because of the pets (2 dogs, 4 cats). I *hate* ceramic tile. From what I have read, we would have to spend more than we can afford to get a laminate sturdy enough that the dogs would not easily scratch it, and it tends to be cold, hard and slippery. The slightly textured vinyl Allure seems like a good product for us. I know there are some horror stories here, but there are some about every type of flooring, so I'm trying not to let them scare me away just yet.

I found out about Allure because I know two people who have used the sticky kind and love it. That is clearly a pretty temperamental product, and it's either going to work for you or not, with no apparent rhyme or reason. I'm hoping the Ultra will be both sturdier and a little more reliable. Still, whatever we use we will do just one room initially and see how it holds up.

Ok, my questions (the first batch, anyway), in totally random order:

- what do you do for the stairs? I have read that it's not recommended for stairs, and someone in this thread said they tried it and it was very slippery. But carpeted stairs would look odd, I would think.
- how bad is the color mis-match between runs? As I said, we want to do one room first to see how it does, and I don't think we can afford to buy 2000+ square feet of the stuff all at once anyway.
- the engineered wood in the kitchen was laid before the cabinets and appliances were put in, so we will have to cut it out. Any suggestions on how best to do this?
- I understand that you remove the baseboards, lay the Allure Ultra 1/8" away from the sheetrock, and then replace the baseboards. What do you along a sliding glass door or other place where there is no baseboard?
- how difficult is it to replace a damaged plank? This is another of the drawbacks with laminate, if the dogs did make a bad scratch it would be almost impossible to replace.
- is there a quality (or any other) difference between the in-stock colors and the special-order colors? Or between the colors that are $2.97/sq ft and those that are $3.27?
- my local Lowe's carries a similar product from Armstrong, but it's not on their website. Has anyone else seen this product and compared it to Allure Ultra?
- I have read the installation instructions from Home Depot that someone kindly posted here, but there is still a lot I don't understand. I imagine that you want to keep all the planks in the house going in the same direction generally, but it also seems like there would be times you would want to do it the other way (bathrooms, closets) to avoid working with a million tiny pieces. Is there a good reference out there to learn about the basics of flooring installation, the stuff that's not specific to this product?
- everyone seems to find it difficult to cut with a utility knife - is there a reason to not use an electric chop saw?
- last but not least - is there another product I should consider for this project?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wades through this and responds!

janiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm just starting the research part of our flooring project... please bear with me I have a *lot* of questions!
Too much to read!!!

Do a search here. This forum has a lot of information about that product. Search it out and read from there, then when you have specific questions come back here and ask away. I'm sure your questions will be answered with reading the other threads.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

I have actually spent quite a bit of time reading threads here... the ones that do cover my questions are several years old, and most are talking about the other kind of Allure (the grip strip version, not the Ultra). It's a fairly new product.

I also have seen quite a few long posts, so it looks like there are at least some people out there who don't mind reading...
janiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
I also have seen quite a few long posts, so it looks like there are at least some people out there who don't mind reading...
Jheeeezh aren't we touchy today?
Just trying to be of help but nevermind. Hang in there I'm sure there are plenty of people around here that would love to drone-on and re-re-hash all that information again.

Good Luck.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Search for Allure Ultra installation instructions.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote