Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for tips on my basement's dirt floor

I live in New Hampshire in a 135-year-old house. We've had a lot of rain here over the past week and, for the first time since purchased the house three years ago, we had water in our basement. As the title of this thread suggest, we have a dirt floor with thin wood panels on top of it.

Well, we had wood panels on top of it.

While I was in the basement yesterday morning sweeping the remaining water towards the sump pump, my sewage pipe burst and we received 18 inches of sewage in our basement. The same thing happened with three of my neighbors as a back-up in the city's main system put too much pressure on my sewage pipe and caused it to burst.

So after pumping out the sewage, having a plumber repair the sewer pipe, taking everything out of my basement, calling 1-800-GOT-JUNK to haul away the items in my basement, and paying ServPro to disinfect the basement and spread limestone...I'm looking for advice as to what to lay on top of my dirt floor (aside from concrete).

I'm not a handy homeowner, but I've gotten a little better over the past few years. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Contractor

I would be thinking of something like a deck, built freestanding. The spacing between the boards would allow for ventilation.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to fburke

If your just using for storage get a bunch of wooden pallets some place give them away…then cover with 1/2 plywood cheep…..i wouldn’t use it as a room but just to keep things off the dirt floor this works fine.
fburke is offline   Reply With Quote