Lock N Fold Floor Is Noisy - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Mat Mayhan

Lock n Fold Floor is noisy

just did a small room and hallwaywith bruce lock and fold hardwood- looks good and was fairly easy to install. When you walk across it makes creaks and ticks as if coming from the joints. i used a mallot and tapping block so i think the joints are tight. anybody have any ideas ? Will this get better with time as the floor adjusts ?

Advertisement

Mat Mayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I think the 50 cent question will be, what do you have under the new floor

Advertisement

DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

You should not have need a hammer and tapping block for much of it. What density is your underlayment?
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I've had several people report issues with the Bruce Turlington product that uses this system. Of course the Bruce rep is not one of those people. According to him, he's had nothing but success with it.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

I have not sold or installed any of it but I have seen it down and never heard noise,this is interesting.
I would like more info.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sounds like a possible problem with the floor flatness beneath it.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I've been hearing more reports of problems with the lock n' fold system on Armstrong's laminates now. Evidently the end joint fits too loosely. They don't seem to use the plastic insert in the end joint like other brands using a similar system have. At least that's what I've been told. None of my Armstrong/Bruce jobs recently have used any of the products with this system.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #8

I have Bruce Hardwood engineered flooring (lock and fold) and it is very noisy in many areas ( sounds like snap crackle and pop) It sounds terrible. How can I fix this? Can I put shims under the sub flooring? Should i have it ripped up and replaced with another brand? If so, what is a good brand that will not have this problem.
noelluddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Just installed Armstrong, Turlington Lock n' Fold using the floating installation method and I am havivg the same noisy problem as others. The creaking sounds like the joints are not a tight fit. The underlayment has a 20 lb.density which is at the top of the scale. The concrete subfloor is reasonably flat and the installation is perfect. The product is only 3/8" thick which offers little substance or regidity so it seems to be pretty flimsy, lightwieght and dimensionally unstable. The creaking is everywhere, not just in one area. It looks nice until you walk on it, then it sounds terrible. Armstrong is no help. Getting ready to trash it and start over with another product.
STALLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLEY View Post
Just installed Armstrong, Turlington Lock n' Fold using the floating installation method and I am havivg the same noisy problem as others. The creaking sounds like the joints are not a tight fit. The underlayment has a 20 lb.density which is at the top of the scale. The concrete subfloor is reasonably flat and the installation is perfect. The product is only 3/8" thick which offers little substance or regidity so it seems to be pretty flimsy, lightwieght and dimensionally unstable. The creaking is everywhere, not just in one area. It looks nice until you walk on it, then it sounds terrible. Armstrong is no help. Getting ready to trash it and start over with another product.
STALLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

The concrete subfloor is reasonably flat.
What do you consider reasonable ?
Has to be 1/8" in 6' or 3/16" in 10'
Ask the store you bought it from to send a mill rep out , or get a independent inspection.
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

I have posted lots of YouTube videos of my same problem with this, starting here.

I hope you look at all of them. I have battled with this for months, and I have been contacted by MANY people who don't know what to do.. My idea, we gather all our names, and start a class action.... I have also posted on the Armstrong Facebook page, many times, with links to the videos, and I get a canned response every time. I say since this problem has been know by Armstrong for at least 3 years there is something wrong company wide.... Anyway, look at the videos if you want, and I am also on this thread.....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...340413169.html

Contact me if you want...
aquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #13

I have posted lots of YouTube videos of my same problem with this, starting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiODkZAxjE

I hope you look at all of them. I have battled with this for months, and I have been contacted by MANY people who don't know what to do.. My idea, we gather all our names, and start a class action.... I have also posted on the Armstrong Facebook page, many times, with links to the videos, and I get a canned response every time. I say since this problem has been know by Armstrong for at least 3 years there is something wrong company wide.... Anyway, look at the videos if you want, and I am also on this thread.....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0721340413169.html

Contact me if you want...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,022

Aquilter,
How wide is the gap between the floor and the wall (part under your shoe molding)?
I looked at your video and it didn't seem too bad. It is wood, not carpet, and the few noises I heard wouldn't bother me but everyone has a different tolerance level I guess.
I imagine you could have some subfloor unevenness as stated earlier that you never addressed that is contributing to the problem.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Aquilter,
How wide is the gap between the floor and the wall (part under your shoe molding)?
I looked at your video and it didn't seem too bad. It is wood, not carpet, and the few noises I heard wouldn't bother me but everyone has a different tolerance level I guess.
I imagine you could have some subfloor unevenness as stated earlier that you never addressed that is contributing to the problem.
Hi, We just had 2, yes, 2 inspectors here this week, and the gap is fine, the subfloor is level, actually I have video of the most recent installation, from "the ground, up," so to speak, the installation is fine, the crawl space is dry, the moisture levels are fine, everything is fine, the lock and fold, in MY OPINION, is not fine. Quarter round was removed to measure the gap, moisture meters were used, the long level thing was used. There is a slight thumping noise on the videos, that is not the problem. It is the snap crackle pop of the floor that is the problem, and I don't think anyone would live with that noise. Sometimes it sounds like you are stepping on that large bubble wrap, with rice cereal underneath, sometimes it is just a slight crunchy sound, but it is NOT enjoyable. I don't think any one who has posted about the noise, in any forum, for the last 4 years, finds the noise acceptable.

I will even make you an offer, if you want the floor, I will sell it to you....and I won't even charge extra for the noise!!!!! I have made that offer to lots of people, and no one has accepted....drat!

Thanks for responding

Advertisement