Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Locating source of difficult floor squeak

I am trying to remedy a floor squeak in the upper bedroom floor before installing the new carpeting. I have plenty of experience tackling this chore in my old house and even went so far as to cut into my garage ceiling to shim up joists that were causing pesky and annoying squeaks in the kitchen floor. I don't really have that option here though because we have textured ceilings and I don't want to cut into them on the floor below.

In the picture I attached, the squeak is emanating from the general area around the joist where I put in 7 screws (with no change). The other joist is a couple inches beyond where the plywood seams meet and I have tried several screws there as well. I am thinking there must be some attached cross member or other joist support that I can't see there. I am just not familiar enough with how they could have constructed this to have a good picture in my head. I have thought about pulling up the screws and nails and removing the plywood to get a better look, but I am wondering if there is a better way to resolve this problem. The squeak is really bad and is something I definitly want to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Locating source of difficult floor squeak-squeaky-floor.jpg  

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

For one thing those outside edges should have been fastened every 6" with #8 ring shanked nails.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Handyman

In my experience the squeaks usually come from where the boards meet or from the screws holes. If you still see problems then the wood make need replacing. You could as soon try installing some foam padding where the screws meet the beams underneath. I hope this helps you out. Good luck, let us know how things are progressing!
nicktools561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Tileguy

When adding screws doesn't remedy a squeak, it's often a nail that just barely hit a joist causing the problem. If you could see the nail it would be just rubbing the edge of the joist. The only way to fix it is to remove it or break off the splinter. You can't break the splinter, so I'd remove any nail that appears off-line from the other.

BTW, the ply in the seam above looks like it has been cut, if so, you lost the tongue & groove benefit. If you pull or cut this sheet to make the repair, be sure to install blocking under all seams.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

Ok, I was finally able to get back to the house to inspect things again. I spotted a couple nails that seemed out of place and may be rubbing the joist. I attached another photo that shows an odd nail configuration located in the same general range as the squeaks but the noises don't seem to be coming from there. I am wondering what the intent was in the photo. What could be below the plywood that required that nail pattern??

I tried to pull up all three nails. They are 8d ring shank nails. I got two up without too much trouble but the third one just won't budge. Any tips on how to get these nails out easily? I stripped the nail head with my claw hammer completely so I am not sure how to get the shank out now.

I found another nail that seems to be making noise as well and it is out of place but am having trouble getting it out too. I didn't go too far on that one just yet so the nail head is still in place but I need a better way to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Locating source of difficult floor squeak-squeaky-floor-2.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Tileguy

That looks like an area of about 6x8 inches. If you don't know what that nail is doing there, how can I? The right tool and procedure will grab that nail.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #7

Well, I don't know what that is either and the floor noise remains after I pulled a couple nails that looked out of place and could have been rubbing the joist. At this point, I am thinking that I should pull up the plywood to see what is beneath it. However, these ring shank nails are incredibly frustrating and time consuming to remove! I am using a flat blade screwdriver to dig in around the nail head and pop it up a little to get my claw hammer puller underneath it. I am thinking of trying a cats paw.

My other option is to get into destruction mode and just cut the plywood with my circular saw and rip it out with a prybar and just get a new sheet. I imagine I would have to cut off the nail heads that remain though so that is more work there too.

This floor noise is right where you walk into the master bedroom so I know I definitely want to fix this one way or another. It seems to be the only major squeak in the whole house too. The ring shank nails are working well and the previous owner laid down additional screws in some of the rooms on the first floor.