Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Load bearing quality of metal studs

What is the load bearing ability of the metal studs they are using in home construction today?

I am thinking of building a shed, and was wondering if they are strong enough to use as load bearing walls that would be supporting the roof of the shed.

Also if they would be strong enough to use for floor joists with plywood sheeting for the floor. Maybe even with closer support points under the floor. For example if the shed is 9 feet wide, with wood you would use 3 support points, could I do it with 4 support points using the metal studs?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.:D

bluegorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #2

I so far only have seen metal studs on none load bearing walls. It maybe due to them not having full strength until sheathed with something. They are pretty flimsy until tied together. I am sure they do have some capacity but they may vary with each manufacturer. I haven't done any research on this as of yet. But info should be available if they are suitable for such applications.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #3

I have built a garage with metal studs, but not the ones from Homer Depot.... there are companies that make them strong enough... check the yellow pages, or a home show.
knowltondata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #4

I would still expect the manufacture to be able to supply information or a data sheet if they are or not suitable for a application. Even the studs from a box store are not suitable for building such a wall. They seem about the same as the studs I am used to seeing in commercial buildings used for a couple decades or so. none of these were load bearing. Make sure before buying from a home show or some other source. Make sure that the product is rated for load bearing capability and that you don't exceed it. Another thing to keep in mind. Cost wise metal and dimensional lumber are in most areas competitive (by me lumber is cheaper). . Although the metal will never have termites or rot in extreme cases I have seen the galvanizing fail and the metal oxidizing to the point it would of not been structural in anyway.