Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Share |

LM IPE Floors scratching too easily?

Just had engineered IPE floors from LM installed. They look beautiful.
However, they scratch SO EASILY! Plastic scratches them. The little plastic pieces that are put on chaor legs to prevent scratching scratches the floor. No, not scuffs - it actually scratches right through the surface.

How do we fix these scratches? Can we use the same kind of "crayon" as one would use to fix scratches on a table?

Should it scratch so easily?

What is the best way to clean these floors? We now use Bruce hardwood floor cleaner - something better? Am a bit concerned as there is a new puppy around, and she likes to lick everything in sight!

coachgns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Go to HD and get the felt pads and put them on every leg of your furniture .
You can also get some matching putty there to in the paint isle . the stuff in the little jars work the best .

Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

If it has not been to long since it was installed I would have a rep from the company come take a look at it. Ipe is the hardest wood in the world. It measures 3684 on the Jenka scale. I doubt that the wood is scratching. It is probably the finish. Wood is guarenteed to do two things, dent and scratch. The ease of doing either one depends on what kind of finish is applied and what kind of wood it is.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

I am in the process of finishing my Ipe deck. The previous poster is correct, Ipe is very hard, however it is very oily and does not take finish well. I am using a specific exterior only oil finish that penetrates into the Ipe, and is only designed to reduce the rate at which the Ipe greys out.

I am not familiar with engineered Ipe, my Ipe consists of 3/4 inch thick, 4 inch wide boards, very similar to traditional oak hardwood flooring. You may wish to discuss with the manufacturer of your wood product exactly how they finished the wood. I agree with the previous poster, based on my experience, if you have solid Ipe, it should be scratch resistant, but the finish is a different matter.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

I have tried to contact the manufacturer - LM - but thus far they have not replied to my inquiries.

The scratch is definitely on the surface, but it shows as white/grey on the dark wood. makes me think the scratch goes deeper than just the coating.
What is odd is that wood chair legs do NOT scratch the IPE, but chairs with plastic legs do.
coachgns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
it is very oily and does not take finish well.
What Dan said.... and woodman.... the Ipey is doing what it does best!.... rejecting finishes (which scratch off easily), and turning gray when left unfinished.

I use boiled linseed oil on my back porch. It holds back the gray and keeps it looking beautiful, but needs to be done twice a year.

DM
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
I have tried to contact the manufacturer - LM - but thus far they have not replied to my inquiries.

The scratch is definitely on the surface, but it shows as white/grey on the dark wood. makes me think the scratch goes deeper than just the coating.
What is odd is that wood chair legs do NOT scratch the IPE, but chairs with plastic legs do.
I wouldn't expect them to contact you soon .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #8

If they don't contact you, you can fix the surface scratch by purchasing poly at the same gloss of the floor. This will be either gloss, semi-gloss, or satin. Use a paint brush the size of finger nail polish brush to apply it. Let it dry for a day or so with no one walking on it. Then use 320 grit sand paper to LIGHTLY sand the area level. It should just about disappear. Don't put it on to thick.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote