Living Room Flooring Suggestions? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Living room flooring suggestions?

Hi all! Despite 10+ years in home improvement, I can't make up my mind about what to put down for a new living room floor. I was hoping to get some help.

The area is about 181 sq ft, currently has traditional carpet with pad and tackstrip install. A section roughly 4 sq ft at the door is what appears to be a thick peel and stick tile with a wood parquet look. We plan to keep this section and it is not counted in the total sq footage.

From peeling back a corner of the carpet, I can see that it is laid directly on concrete. I am not sure of the condition of the entire subfloor, but the area I could see by doing that is fine. The carpet shows no signs of subfloor issues-there is only slight wrinkling that is probably just due to it being badly in need of a restretch. The living room is on the main level of a trilevel home.

We are looking for something relatively inexpensive and preferably something we could do ourselves. We have children ages 4, 2, and 4 months, so we need something on the softer side, not a hard floor. It also only needs to last a few years, until they get out of the spilling everything they hold phase, at which time we will install the type of floor we want to have for a long while. I have considered carpet tiles (but concerned about padding) and loose laying carpet. We are pretty handy so we could do a regular carpet install if a knee kicker could be rented. We are in a big city (Louisville,KY), so I guess we could find one for rent here if that is something that you could rent anywhere, kwim? I don't want to pay a big box for install regardless of price. I worked at both big boxes and don't feel OK with that. Again, this is just a temporary replacement for an old, worn-out carpet that gives me the heebie-jeebies to look at, so we need the cost to be as low as possible.

Thanks for any advice y'all can give me!

Advertisement

wildcatgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote