Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Linoleum not flush against tub bottom?

Whomever installed the linoleum in our bathroom prior to us living here, did not cut the template properly, and thus there is about a 3" inch gap where the linoleum ends and the tub bottom begins. In the gap there was probably a couple tubes worth of caulking, which were used to adhere 3 overlapping layers of material that resembles venetian blind lats.

The material was cracking, chipping, and peeling away. In the grooves between the layers a nice orange soap scum had taken hold. This is my 3rd big cleaning project since moving in a few months ago, but it became more than that within a few minutes time. I started cleaning, but realized quickly that the cleaners were just disappearing into this strange chasm of hodgepodge material. I ended up just grabbing one edge of it and tearing it off like a scab. What caulking didn't come up with it I scraped up. What I found beneath here was the edge along the tub bottom was black with mold. Peeling the linoleum back revealed an old layer of linoleum. The adhesive on both layers in this immediate area had failed due to water infiltration. The only thing that had been holding it to the floor was the caulking scab. Beneath the oldest layer, a moist plywood floor also covered in black mold, extending outward from the tub about 8" beneath the linoleum before the plywood was dry and clean again.

I bleached it, and left the linoleum flapped back to let it dry. The wood seems sound, I picked at it with my scraper and it doesn't crumble.

Short of replacing all the linoleum in the bathroom, what can I fill this gap in with instead?
shub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

Ceramic tile tub aproach?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Gold flat metal?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Not sure there is anything u can do to fill a 3 inch gap... Maybe paint a wood moulding and nail that down
FloorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

I would fold the vinyl back again and paint the area you cleaned with Kilz... Its a sealer and primer and will cut down on future water damage... Use vinyl adhesive to resecure existing vinyl... If the gap is as big as u say it is then go to ur homestore and find a wide flat carpet metal or a moulding that will fit...
FloorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Tileguy

Ceramic tile tub aproach?
Two rows of 12" tile (10 pieces) would do the trick.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote