Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Lightly Sanding and Poly-ing floors & Spot refinsihing

We moved into a house and the main living room and dining room have already been recoated with polyurethane, however during construction we had red rosin paper down with painters tape and it pulled up the polyurethane in a few places. I am wondering if there is really anyway to blend these spots in with the floor by staining / polying these areas?

Also the 3 bedrooms and hallways are in decent shape but definitely need a coat of stain and poly to bring them back to life. I am looking for any suggestions or recommendations on how to go about this? There seems to be a million different suggestions online machine buffer to screening with a pole sander? I'd prefer not to rent the machine because we plan on going room by room so we don't have to move all three rooms of furniture out.

I attached two pics the first of a spot where the poly came up, and second a picture of the more dull bedroom floors

All advice is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Lightly Sanding and Poly-ing floors & Spot refinsihing-photo-7.jpg   Lightly Sanding and Poly-ing floors & Spot refinsihing-photo-8.jpg  

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

The best way to go about this is to rent a buffer. A pole sander will not abrade the floor as effectively. It also won't remove as many surface scratches. If you don't wanna pay for multiple rentals of the buffer, just use a fast dry water based finish. I recommend Bona Traffic HD. They are more durable anyway. Get a white buffer pad and a few 220 grit sanding screens for the buffer. They will have these where ever you rent the machine from. Then buff over the floor with the screen, vacuum really well, dust mop with a micro fiber dust mop that has been dampened with mineral spirits and then apply the finish using a t-bar applicator. You could move furniture into other areas as the finish dries and probably still get the buffer back in time for just 1 24 hour rental. If you have never used a buffer before maybe consider a square buffer, as they are easier to operate. Hope this helps.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I am not sure what finish the previous homeowner put on the floor. I am leaning towards using Satin, however if they used Semi Gloss, or something else will that be an issue?

Thanks
-Terry
troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyce1 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info.

I am not sure what finish the previous homeowner put on the floor. I am leaning towards using Satin, however if they used Semi Gloss, or something else will that be an issue?

Thanks
-Terry

Terry, Satin or semi-gloss will not matter. It will just be a personal preference. Most people we work with seem to choose satin. If the floor does have some gloss to it, and you do want satin, just be sure to abrade the floor well. This includes even hand sanding the corners.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote