Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling a sloped concrete pad for tile

I have a sloped covered porch that I want to tile. If the slope was straight, then fine but my pad undulates slightly. Two questions:
1. How much of an uneven surface is too much? My tiles are 24" X 6" and the floor is uneven such that a max of less than 1/8" gap may be in the center of a 24" span. Can the thinset fill that or do I need to straighten (not level since it's sloped outdoor pad).
2. If I must level, I suppose that the pour type wouldn't work here, so how do I best fill the low spots?
giveitatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #2

your skill level is key here. leveling 1/8" isn't hard to do with a trowel provided you have an eye for it. i actually just did a concrete pad on my own house a couple days ago with slate. it was an offset tent shape with a greater slope and a couple waves. the thinset you use outside is also a consideration. i chose versabond flexbond after reading a few threads on outside thinset. the theory was that flexbond would be less likely to fracture in freezing weather. when you do your install just make sure that each piece is on a flat bed of motar. tiles have a general feel when they plop in a solid bed. if the tile is tipsy re address the mortar.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #3

Thanks Racebum. Not sure exactly what you meant though. You said that you leveled it with a trowel, but did you level first, let dry, then lay tile... or (what I think you meant) did you level as you laid the tile and by back butter or add with a trowel directly onto the uneven surface.

I'm thinking mark the high and low spots with plus and minus and back butter the tiles at the low to add a little extra thinset might work.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #4

yea, you could do that. as far as what i did. i leveled the surface by eye with a trowel then dropped tile. there is enough play in the thinset, especially if you mix it slightly runny, actually runny is the wrong word, just not thick; the lay down goes really easy. i think your idea with marks could work, you just might be playing with amounts to get the tiles in flat. i don't think with 1/8th you're really going to have too much trouble, especially if you use a 1/2" trowel.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #5

Okay thanks. I'll start in the least visible area, level as I go and hopefully get a process down quickly.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

that's exactly what i did too, you'll have the hang of it after a few tiles a betcha
Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

here's a finished shot of mine. this thing was nearly 3/4" off in the worst place. i wound up using that as a break and slope for rain pour off. this pad was FAR worse than what you describe. a couple areas aren't exactly perfect but in my case, it's slate, it works unperfect

this is my bombed out foreclosure buy i'm rebuilding

Tags
level, sloped concrete, tile floor