Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RobertoAguiar
Share |

Leveling Help

Good Afternoon so here is my situation that i would like to see if anyone has any advice. In my masterbeedroom the floor has a slope drop in the middle of the floor, in the photo you can see where its white, it remains level with the rest of the house, where the blue line is that is where it slopes down about 3 inches down, then all the grey area is level. what advice can i do to make this not such a disturbance, instead of just having a slope drop what are my options.

RobertoAguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

Leveling Help

I would be tempted to build up the floor in the grey area the 3 inches needed to make it level. Is the ceiling flat or does it drop as well at the same spot? Is the grey area an addition? Any idea why it is 3 inches lower that the rest of the house?

chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Leveling Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
I would be tempted to build up the floor in the grey area the 3 inches needed to make it level. Is the ceiling flat or does it drop as well at the same spot? Is the grey area an addition? Any idea why it is 3 inches lower that the rest of the house?

Yes the grey area was an addition it used to be a garrage and the restroom a utility area, at least i think. When we bought the house it was already there and i havnt been able to find the original blue prints of the house, and yes the cieling does come down also. What do you think would be the best way to build it up to be level? i was also thinking of making something like an Island, so where the slope is i would make a small step up to my bed area then the whole corner area be raised up a bit about 2 inches, then another step dropping down twards the closet area. what do you think about that?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #4

Leveling Help

Sounds like a trip hazzard to me.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Leveling Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sounds like a trip hazzard to me.

The random slope in the middle of the floor isnt so safe either, im just trying to figure out my best way to resolve this issue and make it look nice.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Leveling Help

I'd put down some 2X4 flat-wise then 3/4 plywood and then whatever thickness of ply needed to get the two floors level. i suppose you could pull down the ceiling in the white area and lower that by 3 inches by either building up the ceiling joists or sistering new joists so that the ceilings are level as well. That assumes that you are willing to give up the headroom. Are there any signs that the addition has settled? Or does it look like it was just built that way?
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Leveling Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
I'd put down some 2X4 flat-wise then 3/4 plywood and then whatever thickness of ply needed to get the two floors level. i suppose you could pull down the ceiling in the white area and lower that by 3 inches by either building up the ceiling joists or sistering new joists so that the ceilings are level as well. That assumes that you are willing to give up the headroom. Are there any signs that the addition has settled? Or does it look like it was just built that way?

Wow thats a great idea, i had something like that in mind. and No its not leaning in any way or look like over time it came down and settled. it was intentional because the ciiling drop down right abouve the slope has a sqare edge that drops down to it.im thinking of splitting the room up into sections not literally by walls but by uses, i am going to remodel the room and the restroom. so i was thinking of splitting it the first square where you walk in, into the living/tv sections, then the corner square into the bed/sleep area, then a step down into a walk in closet that goes to the restroom. I will draw up some plans and post them to see what you think, i appriciate the help. Thank you