Leveling For Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

leveling for hardwood

My floor joists are more or less 24" OC. I have a single layer of 3/4" pine flooring (the subfloor is the finish floor). The pine boards are somewhat uneven.

In a room we renovated a couple years back I nailed bamboo flooring on a 45 degree angle across the pine flooring (on a layer of felt). It's a little different to have the finish floor at an angle to the walls, but it seems to work.

Here's my question:

The room we're doing now is going to have the same bamboo floor. We're OK with running it on a diagonal same as the other room. There is a 4' opening from the one room to the next, and the one floor is not level. I want to level the floor in the room at least where it meets the other room. The rest of it is level enough generally.

There is not enough room to put a layer of plywood down. My idea is to put shims on the flooring over the joists, and then put some kind of compound between the shims. Can something like that work?

My plan B would be to shim out the entire area, but that would be really tedious.

Advertisement

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote