Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling floor prep

I have removed my ugly vinyl peel and stick tiles and want to put stone tiles in the bathroom. When I put the Armstrong vinyl tiles down, I prepared the floor as directed, with Armstrong Latex Primer. I have a cement slab.
Since I am using french pattern travertine, I need to level the floor first and want to apply RedGuard or something similar to prevent tile cracking. I am planning to use LevelQuick RS and it recommends a latex primer first.
I have contacted the mfg. about the LevelQuick RS and the primer. They told me I need to remove the current primer and then apply their primer or I will have no warranty. I find this confusing, to remove and re-apply a primer. I have tried to contact Armstrong, but have not heard back from them.
I thought you had to scarify the floor first to remove any old primers (etc), so the new flooring will adhere properly to the slab. The LevelQuick Primer will reseal the floor and then it will fail the water absorb test of less than 5 minutes.
So the primer will prevent the leveler from adhering to the slab and the tile will be adhered to the mortar which will not be adhered to the anticrack membrane in between the mortar and the leveler..
1. Does this sound correct?
2. Why remove primer to just re-apply, should I just apply the LevelQuick Primer right over the old Armstrong Primer?
3. How would I remove the old primer if I did not scarify?
golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leveling floor prep

GG,
Sounds right to me. Your going from a vinyl application to Stone. I don't know much about the CBP productline but you should strip it down and scarify, then primer, then levelor etc... So your better off following their recomended instructions
Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
golfgirl (01-20-2012), oh'mike (01-19-2012)