The bathroom floor in my 100 year old house is flat, but slopes in one direction 2 inches. It appears to have been this way for a long time (no current signs of movement). I reinforced many joists in the basement for some peace of mind.
The floor has three layers (1 X 10, then 1 X 5, then 1 X 3) over 2 X 8 joints, spaced 24 inches.
I am going to lay 14 by 14" tile on the floor. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. After talking to some friends and reading up on it, here's my plan...
- Lay 3/4" or 1/2" plywood on the lowest parts to bring them up a bit.
- Prime the floor with latex primer.
- Install wire lath over the whole thing and dump on lots of Levelquik self-leveler.
- Install electric floor heat mat over the self-leveler.
- then thinset mortar and tile
Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!