Leveling Area Over Drain In Laminate Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leveling area over drain in laminate floor

A laminate floor was recently installed in my basement. This drain-type thing was protruding far enough out of the concrete that the floor had to be cut around it when being installed. (see pictures)

For the most part it sits about 1/4-1/8" beneath the level of the floor. It's in an area of the floor that will most likely have a chairmat over it, but I want to find a way to make it level with the rest of the floor so that my desk chair isn't wobbling if one of the wheels rolls over that part of the mat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can level this area out before putting the plastic chairmat over it? My thoughts have ranged from using some type of rubber that may mold to the contours of the metal parts, or even laying some plastic then pouring something that will harden over the plastic to patch it. I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Leveling area over drain in laminate floor-2012-07-25-14.13.07.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-25 14.12.38.jpg (99.8 KB, 155 views)

Advertisement

fcampagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Is this laminate rated for basement? The floor is meant to have the slope be the drain for the water to travel there. You can try to slide some thin narrow shims under there to level it but over all a bad idea to have laminate there

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but I think you're misunderstanding my dilemma. That's not a drain that is used to drain water from the basement. I believe it was placed there in case anyone ever wanted to install a bathroom in the basement. It's not a very damp basement. Rather than try to uninstall it, the laminate floor was placed around it. I'm looking to make the area on top of the drain level with the rest of the floor. Right now, the laminate is about 1/4-1/8" above the top of the metal. Yes, the laminate is rated for basement.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcampagna
Thanks for the reply, but I think you're misunderstanding my dilemma. That's not a drain that is used to drain water from the basement. I believe it was placed there in case anyone ever wanted to install a bathroom in the basement. It's not a very damp basement. Rather than try to uninstall it, the laminate floor was placed around it. I'm looking to make the area on top of the drain level with the rest of the floor. Right now, the laminate is about 1/4-1/8" above the top of the metal. Yes, the laminate is rated for basement.
Oh ok my bad, do you want to cover this? Then fill the hole in? I would get a PVC cap for HD measured and matched with your drain size, take a piece of paper make a templet of the hole then cut a plank of laminate if you have any left with a jigsaw.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

I have some laminate left, but it's too thick to sit on top of the drain. If I do that, It'll end up with it being uneven the other way.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcampagna
I have some laminate left, but it's too thick to sit on top of the drain. If I do that, It'll end up with it being uneven the other way.
Even if you take the drain cover off and put shims in there? I don't know now ya got me by the sneaker. Sorry
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

It's seems like part of the frame/cover is built into the cement. I'd prefer to cover it with something that will keep the floor level. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement