Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Taking stuff apart is fun

Share |

Level Basement Floor with Floor Grinder?

This has been suggested to me. I have a floor that is quite uneven and I will be putting flooring down so it must be taken care of. The guy at my local rental place couldn't provide information regarding what grinding / scarifying disk would work best. Can you please help?

I've attached pics of:
- The grinder they have
- The three different inserts / disks they have (Diamond, Carbide, Sca

The diamond ones cost more than three times as much to rent ($100 a day). I'm assuming their rental prices are for the three that it looks like you need for the machine.

The floor level varies by up to an inch and I have to at a minimum get the paint off of the floor even before I could consider using a SLC to level the extreme areas. If possible I would like to just use the grinder to level the entire thing. Let me know what you think.

I wonder if I'm better off just using a paint stripper brush on my drill (like I did on the walls) and then mixing a TON of SLC.
Attached Thumbnails
Level Basement Floor with Floor Grinder?-dyma-serts.jpg   Level Basement Floor with Floor Grinder?-scarifyingbrush.jpg   Level Basement Floor with Floor Grinder?-strip-serts-tan.jpg  

butchbs1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

As someone who just ground off 700 sqft of thinset, I'd say this is not the most fun thing you can do, and its not that easy. With thinset, you can feel how deep you are grinding (thinset comes off rather quick, concrete not so much). If you are grinding off the concrete it is going to be very hard to keep it level over your entire span and then you may need to SLC it anyway. I'd remove the paint and SLC, may be expensive but from my experience time>money.

BTW, if you grind the concrete be sure to use a vacuum setup with a small enough filter size on the vacuum to trap the dust and appropriate particulate mask. Concrete dust is no joke to your health unlike what lot of people think.

dzl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Tileguy

Butch you would be wasting your time and money. Floor grinding doesn't work like that. That particular machine won't actually do what you want.

There is a difference in a "level" floor and a "plane" floor and that method and machine will do neither.

Self Levelling Compound is your best bet.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Tile with Style

Self leveler is absolutely the way to go, you can pour multiple layers of leveler if the height difference is substantial...
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Taking stuff apart is fun

Appreciate the responses. Off to buy more paint stripper wheels from the store. Sounds like a lively Saturday
butchbs1985 is offline   Reply With Quote