Leaky Floor / Wall Around Enclosed Porch - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

leaky floor / wall around enclosed porch

i have a very old house with an enclosed porch that was at one time an open porch. the inside walls around the perimeter of the porch floor have brown water marks where water from rains has wicked up into them from outside. the edges of the porch floor on the outside of the house are visible as they commonly are in these porch conversions. i want to know if anyone knows how to seal this up so that the water stops coming into the walls. i am also afraid that the edges of the floor on the outside may not have enough of a downward grade to the outside to encourage water runoff. water also collects under the screen door leading to the outside steps. if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it! thanx!

Advertisement

labgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Pretty common problum, post some pictures.
Look foward to rotted bottom plates, rotted bottoms of the studs, rotted sheathing. Oh goody.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

actually, this has been going on for as long as i can remember (we've been here 21 years ) and it hasn't ruined the floor yet...as for underneath, there is nothing underneath...dirt and a crawlspace, the basement doesn't extend under the porch...it's built over the ground. i just figure that it's eventually going to rot the wall or allow access to insects.
labgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Pictures would help--often porches are enclosed without much thought about the design---so leaks and rot are common

Tags
closed in porches , leaking floors