Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
J&K

Rewards Points: 10
Question

laying tile on chip board??

We are trying to help a friend lay down a tile floor in his kitchen. He has layed down chip board instead of plywood or cement board. There is already a thick enough floor underneath as far as that is concerned but I am worried about how to keep the tile from lifting or cracking later if it doesnt adhire. I dont think he will be willing to use anything more expensive, but maybe modify it if at all possible? Does anyone have any tips to help us have a good chance at this floor holding up? Or has anyone layed tile on this kind of board using thinset and had it turn out good/bad?

J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

"Chipboard"...? you mean OSB (oriented strand board) or particle board? Not sure what you mean but IMO neither is suitable for tiling without a membrane over the top.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Ceramic tile CAN NOT be installed over any type of chip board. It is written in all the rule books. The industry forbids it. Read the instructions on the thinset bags, it clearly states tile CAN NOT be installed over OSB or particle board or a few other products.

If you want to help your friend, stay away from this project. It is doomed from the start. Go ahead and there won't be any difficulty in removing all the tiles next week.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
JJC
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Absolutely, positively not a substrate for any ceramic tile that is to be bonded directly to it. Any doubts can be solved by reading the instructions on the bag. Its usually listed under the heading of UNSUITABLE SUBSTRATES.
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

Boy it didn't take Jim long to find this post!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
J&K

Thank You ccarlisle and others. So what kind of membrane do you mean that we could put over it? What would be the cheapest thing we could do in order for the tiles to stay down. I understand that we are not going for high quality here, it is just to get by for him. . .he is kind of in a jam I guess - but is there a way to make it work without tearing up the chip board and starting over, and without putting the actual cement board over top? And is that really realistic that the tiles would only stay down a WEEK?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #7

Look at it this way: you either spend $200 now - or $800 in a year or two. Sure that $200 may be hard to find now and $$$ doesn't grow on trees. But, one or both of you might look a bit silly when the tiles or the grout started lifting, cracking or something that is beyond simple repair. And guess you might take the blame?

Or worse. Then you'll have spent money on tiles for nothing because now you have to buy them again, plus this time buy the things we tell you buy now.

But again some people can live with it...we don't know. All we can do is tell you what we've all experienced - and give you the benefit of that.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
J&K

I guess he called Home Depot and they told him he could put some kind of "glue" (I forgot what it is called) over it, then plastic. . .a membrane- and then lay the tile. THAT was the information I was looking for. . .not just that it would never work, but HOW to make it work now that he has already layed the other board!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #9

Well, he went to the real authority didn't he? If so, they probably told him about Ditra (that's what they carry where I am - maybe where you are too) which is an orange plastic membrane that prevents the problems inherent with tile-over-OSB. Costs about $2.50/sq ft. Use thinset...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #10

I don't know if I should be starting another thread for this, but can the Ditra be glued to gypcrete?
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're right Janet.....you shouldn't hijack this thread, but start a new one with your new subject.

Yes is the answer, (or another suitable product) otherwise no tile over Gyp

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
Tileguy

J&K,

You have been told by experienced tile installers what is required, you guys do what you want but you aren't going to talk any of us into agreeing with you and your friend. Sounds to me like you guys can't afford tile. Why not look into something cheaper?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
J&K

Number one, that last response is very arrogant. Number two I was told in the very first response (carlisle), by one of you "experienced tilers" to use a membrane, and by the "friends at Home Depot" to do the same. Are you saying that thread response was wrong? We are doing exactly that, putting the membrane over the chip board, which is what we were told. And I am not "you guys", so do not judge my financial situation, you are very wrong. I am only trying to help a friend who already bought the tile, to put it down and do the best he can in his situation. And you are no team player!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
Tileguy

Quote:
He has layed down chip board instead of plywood...

Quote:
...worried about how to keep the tile from lifting or cracking later if it doesnt adhire...

Quote:
I dont think he will be willing to use anything more expensive

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips to help us have a good chance at this floor holding up...
Quote:
...has anyone layed tile on this kind of board using thinset and had it turn out good/bad?

Quote:
What would be the cheapest thing we could do...

Quote:
...we are not going for high quality

Quote:
...it is just to get by...
Quote:
...he is kind of in a jam...
Quote:
...but is there a way to make it work...
Quote:
...without putting the actual cement board over top

Doesn't sound to me like someone burgeoning with cash reserve!

Sorry, didn't intend to sound arrogant but tired of knowledge seekers that get the information they ask for then want to argue about it.

Besides...consider what you are paying for accurate advice you have gotten here already.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
J&K

ccarlisle - thank you for your help and suggestions. And hopefully it turns out half way good with what my friend has to work with. I certainly never was arguing with anyone, like "Bud" seems to think, just determined to make it work for a friend who already bought the materials, although some of the wrong ones. That is all I was looking for - some helpful people -to give us suggestions on improving the bad situation. Thanks so much.