Laying Tile, Always Start From The Center? Or Will A Corner Do If The Walls Are OK. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Laying tile, always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are OK.

When laying tile, should you always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are fairly straight (1/8-1/4" difference)?

Advertisement

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Laying tile, always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are OK.

I don't understand your question--What kind of tile? Ceramic or vinyl? How big are the tiles and the grout line?

Are both sides of the room visible at the same time? So that if you have a full tile at the left wall and a 1/2 tile at the right wall--will the install look lopsided?

More info please.--Mike---

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

When I lay things out it is more wheres a good place to start and work from. You don't have to start in the center. You have to be able to work out of the room if theres only one door if your doing ceramic. Work off of a chalkline, assuming a wall is straight is asking for trouble.
JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCW355 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,182

JCW is exactly correct, but just to add a bit, before setting the chalk lines from which I will lay tile, I like to lay out some temporary lines, not chalked, held in place with bricks, or whatever. From those, I can do some rough measurements, to make sure that all of my borders are of relatively similar width, and that none of them will be too narrow to look good when I invariably have to compnensate for a wall that is not perfectly straight. I also look at doorways, to make sure that I like the way that the tiles will lay in them. If I see something that I don't like, I move my stings over a bit, and check to see if I have messed up something across the room. Once I am satisfied, I put a mark where my line is, chalk it, and begin. It takes only a few extra minutes for this, but it works for those of us who don't do it every day.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Do work

Rewards Points: 75

When I tile, I lay out an X in the center of the room. Then I dry lay some of my tiles. I usually lay from the center to each wall. This takes a lot more time, but I know exactly how the floor will look when done. If I don't like the way my wall tiles will look, I adjust my X and start over. I know this takes much more time, but I have to look at the tile for years to come and I want it perfect.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

How do I lay the tile that will meet hardwood floor? When I put the underlay then the tile it above the hardwood in the threshold.
wvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Sometimes referencing the centre 'x' can make for too narrow of a piece at the outer edges.
You might need to adjust by half a tile to balance the outer edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Laying tile, always start from the center?  Or will a corner do if the walls are OK.-tiles.jpg  

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
jules4 (10-23-2010)