Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #1

Share |

Laying tail, always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are OK.

Laying tail, always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are fairly straight (1/8-1/4 difference)?

Last edited by abefroman; 10-21-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Moderator, please delete, misspelling.
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Tileguy

Laying tail, always start from the center? Or will a corner do if the walls are OK.

Laying "tail" often starts with a drink.

To be serious....what kind of tile are you referring to? Ceramic of vinyl?

I've never started in the center, especially when setting ceramic tiles. You need to snap chalk lines parallel with the wall then square off the starting spot using the 3-4-5 method.

For vinyl it is often suggested to divide a room into quarters. No real need to do that, but makes it easier to xplain on paper. Remember, there are imaginary line at every 12" (or whatever the tile size is), which can be transferred to any point in the room.

Give us an example with specific measurements of the rooms and materials used.

Jaz

I see you noticed the misspelling. No problem, it's good for a laugh. Happens all the time. Please continue.

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

LOL!

What's the 3-4-5 method?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

The 3-4-5 method is a method of making sure things are perpendicular at 90-degrees. It's a 3-4-5 right-triangle.

Measure one wall 3'. Mark. Measure the second wall 4'. Mark. Run a tape measure between the two. The distance between the 2 marks needs to be exactly 5'. Move the lines/walls/etc in or out to get them exactly on 5'. You now have a perfect 90-degree shape.

You can work on multiples of the 3-4-5 as well. Such as 6-8-10, 9-12-15, etc.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

Got it!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

Before you do your layout, calculate the number of tiles along each length of the walls so that the 'cut' tiles look good.
Nothing worse than a small tile along one edge that looks out of place.
Adjust the starting line so that the cut tiles are balanced.

[edit]
Something worse than a too small tile next to a wall is a grout line right at the baseboards...
[/edit]

Last edited by jlhaslip; 10-21-2010 at 02:38 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Tileguy

Yup, that's it, the "pythagorean theorem".

I've never used it to measure at the walls, just to check my starting lines. Little you can do with the walls, they don't move.

What kind/type of tiles will you be installing?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote