Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laying solid oak flooring...advice needed.

I have a small half brick/hardwood frame conservatory which we just had torn down(the wood frame) and rebuilt as brick and uPVC frame...nice job done. As I sit here the plaster skim is almost dry and I am going to decorate it tomorrow.
After much shopping around we decided on Oak flooring and were advised to use engineered oak as it is a conservatory. However, it is more of an extension and not too big (4m x 2m) so we settled on a solid oak click floor 18mm thick and bought a 3mm foam underlay with damp layer on one side. It is a matt/oiled finish and looks like good quality stuff. It is made by the Unilin group who do Quick Loc flooring.

So, how long should I wait before I lay the floor? The base is concrete, even and been down around 20 years with no problems. It did get a little wet when it rained for a few hours once the roof was taken off (about 4 days ago) but it seems to have dried up nicely during the recent warm weather.
I ask because I don't want any problems by fitting incorectly but the kitchen fitter is coming on Friday to put a few storage units at one end of the room (the other end will just have a sofa and a lamp) and I need to get the floor down asap.

So, any one got experience of this and can give some advice? We have a dehumidifier in there at night and the plumber is due in a few days to fit a radiator in there.

Thanks in advance.

splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you need to wait for the material to acclimate to your room. Directions on the box will tell you how long. It will be at least a week and three weeks by also be the correct time.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Instructions in the pack say 72 hours...my concern was potential humidity in the room due to recent brickwork and plastering. I am going to leave a 10 mm gap all around so in terms of width this allows for 10% expansion which seems quite generous.
Also, the flooring has been in an adjoining room for a few days already...pretty much same temperature if a little less damp (because of the plastering).

Last edited by splinters; 04-11-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

A fan will do a far better job of removing your humidity that a dehumidifier
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Cheers Bob, I will get a fan in there tomorrow and leave the dehumidifier in tonight. Closer inspection of the boards show some sort of varnish like material on the underside of the board even though they are matt on the surface. They also have a slightly oily feel to the click joints and are labelled as Treffert UV Oil/Matt finish.
Look very nice quality I just hope they go down OK....and stay that way...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

"Protective coatings cannot prevent wood from gaining or losing moisture; they merely slow the process." From: http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/tech...oodwater1.html
Test with a moisture meter.... The concrete absorbs water like a sponge, even if the surface "looks" dry. There are many sites to determine the wait period of plastering, though I'm unfamiliar with brickwork. Use a hygrometer-sp. to check overnight. Buy some Dry-Z-airs to collect the moisture rather than your floor after install, at any sporting goods or boating store.

Be safe, Gary