Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Share |

Laying Slate on Concrete Driveway

I am contemplating laying slate tiles over an existing concrete driveway. I am seeking comments and or suggestions about doing this. The driveway area is about 1225 sf.

I had a quote to overlay the driveway with a product called "LimeCoat". LimeCoat has been described to me as a concrete floor coating which is made of a unique blend of crushed quartz and various grades of hardened limestone. It is applied as a thin (1/4" - 3/8") veneer over the existing concrete slab and is supposed to be very durable and long lasting. Once the thin veneer is poured, the chosen design (ie. roman, brick lay, flagstone-like, etc.) is then hand carved and grouted No tape or templates are used. For 1225 sf, it was going to cost $12,500, or $10.20 per sf.

If I laid slate over the driveway, I could achieve the same look - if not better, for about $7 per sf, or $8575.

I have read several threads on the cautions, or outright DO NOT's, on laying slate on outdoor concrete. Most of the comments against it have to do with cold climates, flaking, discoloration, etc. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and it does get cold during the winter, but not too much snow. I am not too concerned about the flaking or discoloration per se.

If I used the Kerabond Keralastic as some have mentioned, shouldn't that be OK. For $4000 in savings, it seems like I can make a heck of a lot of repairs to any problem areas in the slate that may show up later.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

dfwsam2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

kerabond keralastic is a great product. i dont feel that slate would be a good choice for a driveway for some of the reasons that you have already mentioned. "limecoat" sounds like a stamped concrete overlay with some sort of aggregate added to the mud,(i will google it). stamped overlays, if done correctly can be a great alternative to natural stone. the problem is that there are more people that do it wrong than right.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
dfwsam2010 (07-23-2011)
Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

We had this done professionally a few years ago. We live in Hawaii and the slate does flake periodically. It is a challenge keeping it looking good and I have to apply Glaze N Seal Lacquer a couple of times a year. The problem I have now is the contractor didn't chip down the driveway to make the slate flush with the sidewalk and instead finished it with a 4 inch concrete incline. I don't think they used lime in the mixture because it has since cracked and become detached from the underlying driveway. Now I'm looking for material that will be more of a permanent solution to that issue. Anyway, I hope my comments helped.
Marque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

I grew up with slate floors and I wouldn't recommend slate for anything but a chalkboard. Let me take that back. It might be good for siding or roofing as well, but surely not anything you walk on.

I would be looking for some close-out porcelain tile for $1/square foot. I've got about 1500 square feet of a 7x7 for $1.50/foot which I am considering buying now. You could probably get this for $1 if you bought it all. Even if you pay $1.50, it is still much more durable than the slate. It is about 3/8" thick.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Brittle, one of the most poris natural stones so it is going to get stained.
One oil or transmition leak and it's shot.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #6

Here in Texas, where they use Cheap Laborers, one should not pay more than $5 sq/ft for Limecoat. Anything more than that, they are sticking it to you.

pkrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, driveway, outdoor, slate