Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

laying Pergo on the horizontal

What do I need to know to lay Pergo on the horizontal?
mjhughes1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #2

a friend and some loctite power grab, maybe a tape measure and some way to cut the pergo and a level
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Some Pergo comes with snap in edges, if so then I would get some nice gloves with a bit padding in them as it gets a little wearisome on the hands when snapping in a lot of it.

Andy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Horizontal? Are you trying to put this on a wall?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

I have my material and at the last minute realized that the floor would look better if layed corner to corner, rather than vertical... just realized I should have said "laying Pergo on a slant" rather than, "on a horizontal." I have two four foot square tile areas... one in front of the door and one in front of the fire place. If I layed the Pergo along the same lines as the tile, it would sort of clash, as the tile and the Pergo are different widths. I think it would really make the floor stand out, if I could lay it on an angle... corner to corner. I think I could do it as it really is just the same thing, once the first board is placed correctly... yes, I would pop a chalk line. But as this is my first flooring project, I thought I would seek comment from those who have gone before.... Any suggestions???
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #6

Doing it that way your going to end up with at least 20% waste, and it will be near imposable to tap it to lock together.
You have to be able to tap on the ends to get the short butt joints to lock. That would be impossible with it sitting on an angle.
If someone offered me the job I'd pass on it.

Last edited by joecaption; 09-03-2012 at 12:04 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

If you want to lay it diagonally you will have to go with a different product that does not have to be beat in. The only one that comes to mind is armstrong. They make a laminate that just locks in place without tapping. The ends just overlap. It is very easy to install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!

Last edited by woodman58; 09-03-2012 at 05:42 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

Special thanks to those taking your time to guide me. I am now switching back to the normal installation. It is not that I am cheap... (20%+ loss, or put another way, lost $$$ with the diagonals) but the realization that I would not be able to get the full inset of the tongue and groove, due to the diagonal cuts, nixed Plan A.

I have had the Pergo (Madison Hickory with back padding) in the house for 48 hours (I live in Central CA--so not a problem). I have cleaned the floor, dropped a couple of chalk lines to insure I stay on the straight and narrow, and put down the moisture barrier.... now:

1- The instructions tell me to cut the tongue on the first boards placed against the North wall. Do I have to cut it with a circular saw as shown in the instructions or can I remove it using multiple cuts with a box cutter? Can I nip it with tile nippers? As it will be invisible and I have both the 3/16 spacing and the depth of the dry wall to take care of expansion.. do I really need to cut it?

2- I have 125 and 5/16 inches between the North wall and the tiled entrance to the front door. My boards are 5" wide (not counting the tongues) ... Thus, with the 3/16 space at the North and South ends, I will have just under 1/2 inch uncovered. Can I assume I will have enough give, between the spacers at each end and the slippage between the junctions of the 25 boards, to make up for that amount?

Again, many thanks for your assistance. MJH