DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Laying Pergo Flooring

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JAVAMAN 
#1 ·
i WILL B LAYING PERGO FLOORING THIS WEEKEND. I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE BUTS ITS BEEN A WHILE. SO I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS. WHAT ATE THE BASIC TOOLS I WILL NEED?

ALSO IS IT TRUE FOR THE FIRST SHEET THAT YOU SHOULD RIP THE TOUNGE PART OFF SO THAT IS A FLAT SURFACE AGAINST THE WALL.

ANYONE HAVE TIPS FOR ME. IT IS GOING OVER TOP A PLYWOOD FLOOR. THANKS

#2 ·
The first sheet should be spaced about 3/8" from the wall to allow a little expansion room. Your base and base shoe will cover this, but you must be careful not to nail either into the flooring. Yes, you can rip the tongue off the first sheet.

Basic tools...

Jamb saw: to cut bottoms off door casing, if applicable.
Table saw: for ripping to width and cutting to length
Sponge: if you're gluing the pieces together

You are putting down a sound barrier aren't you? Rolled foam sheeting is common for floating floors.

#3 ·
Pergo (like all flooring products) comes with instructions.

WHAT ATE THE BASIC TOOLS I WILL NEED?
Saw, pencil, speed square.....

You sure you've done this before?

ALSO IS IT TRUE FOR THE FIRST SHEET THAT YOU SHOULD RIP THE TOUNGE PART OFF SO THAT IS A FLAT SURFACE AGAINST THE WALL.
You NEVER install any flooring tight to any wall. A gap is always required and that information can be found in the instructions that come with the product.

ALWAYS read and follow the manufacturers installation recommendations.

#4 ·
yeah i know there is supposed to be a gap between the walla s and the floor. is an 1/8 of a inch to small? I know the basic tools that i need, i just want to make sure i have it all cause i will be instaling it at a buddy's cabin in WEST. VA . and there are not many hardware stores around. thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.