Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

laying marble tile...does pattern matter that much?

Hi, folks. I am looking for some opinions here.

I am getting ready to lay some tan/brown/rust marble tiles in my master bath. Since its natural stone, even in the same box, is variation in color and especially patterns. I am not real bothered by that. Others in my household are.

Unlike other floor coverings, there IS NO real pattern of course I have explained.

So how important is it to pick through all the tiles to try to find ones with similar veins running through them? In your opinion....

Its really nice marble so I dont see the big deal...my wife disagrees and thinks we should do a dry lay, work it all out like a puzzle as to whcih opieces look best next to which, number them on the back...etc....etc

What do you folks think? Picture attached (not great quality) so you can see two tile side by side....

Thanks.
Attached Images

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
my wife disagrees and thinks we should do a dry lay, work it all out like a puzzle as to whcih opieces look best next to which, number them on the back...etc....etc
Ayuh,.....

I can't see much of a Problem either way you do it,...........
Except,........

Your life, in general, will probably Much More Enjoyable if you go along with the Wife's Idea...............

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Tile Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

This is something very subjective, meaning only you and your wife can answer it, because for each person the answer will be different. Some like it random, others like it with the grain all going in the same direction. Still others will like it better in sort of a checkerboard, with one going one way, then next going the other, and so on. As a contractor, the marble will go in as it comes out of my hand, unless specifically directed otherwise.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,454

You will never match the grains in the tiles, that isn't what natural stone is all about. You may orient the grains in some desired direction but if you are looking for lines to match lines end to end it is never going to happen. That's the beauty in choosing natural stone products. If you want tile that repeats a pattern every square foot go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy some of that 12" ceramic they sell for .49 a foot with the photographic finish in the glazing.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote