Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Laying ceramic Floor Tiles

Help!! I have just bought some new ceramic tiles to put down in my toilet and I have no idea howto lay them around the toilet!!!!
I have looked at the toilet and It has been cemented to the floor which means I can't lift it up and tile under it!! So how do i cut them in a curve around the base of the toilet? I would say I am OK at DIY but this is my 1st attempt at tiling so any help would be much appreciated!

Trevina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Tileguy

Trevina,

More power to you for trying, but sometimes you need to hire people to get things done. So, if in the end you decide you don't know the right way, or just can't, don't feel bad.

The toilet needs to be removed, any old flooring removed, along with any underlayment that might be there. The tiles installed.

But why don't you describe exactly what you've got there and we may be able to help.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Thanks for your response! My toilet is only 57in x27 and i have bought ceramic floor tiles 33x33 in. The problem I have is that even though we are in a recession it seems that noone wants to take a job to lay a few tiles so that is why I am attempting to do it myself! I am just unsure what to do as the toilet has been cemented to the floor (concrete) as opposed to screwed (why I dont know) and I am kinda nervous bout lifting it incase i make a complete mess of it What should I do??
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Tileguy

OK, you bought enough for 33x33. That takes 9 sq. ft. The bath floor is 15 sq. ft. You gonna be a little short.

The toilet should be held in place to the toilet flange with the special bolts, but toilets are also caulked at the bottom. so it's stuck to the floor for sure. You need to remove it, otherwise let me know when you're going to do the work and I come over and watch....and bring a few friends if I may.

OK, enough fun. Have a friend take a look and see if they can help. You keep saying the toilet is cemented, what does that mean?

There should be no problem finding a tile setter to do the work for you. All you gotta do is write the check. 3-4 hours or so the first day, a few hours the second day. If they are slow, maybe $300?, just a guess not knowing where you are.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #5

HaHa! First of all I meant the size of the tiles are 33x33cms, and i bought 3 boxes with 9 tiles per pack! Secondly when I say the toilet is cemented to the floor I mean its stuck to the floor with cement no screws anywhere!! Thirdly I am in London and you have no idea how hard it is to get someone to do jobs like this as they prefer commercial/big projects.As far you coming to watch with a few mates thats no problem but if your gonna come all the way sure you might aswell do the tiling for me lol. Seriously though I am kind of worried if I remove the toilet i will make a shambles of the plumbing!! Any suggestions??
Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #6

I am just reading your response back do you know what cement is? I mean is there a different name for it over there? Here cement is the stuff you use to build walls /house for bricklaying etc. So some bright spark has used it to stick the toilet base to the floor!! Which basically means I would need a sledge hammer to move it lol
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

"do you know what cement is?..."
Gosh, I thought I did... and I think the JazMan has a pretty good idea of what cement is too, Trevina, but I'll let him have his own say on that.

You're in London, England right? is that in Europe?
..."Here cement is the stuff you use to build walls /house for bricklaying etc.'
Oh. Thanks for that.

I'll look out for it when I next have to leave my mud hut to go to the village for some ale.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #8

Play nice CCarlisle...................

Trevina, I think what Jazman is trying to say is that the proper way would be to remove the toiled and set the tiles.

But, in my opinion, I think you can set the tiles around the toilet. I would make myself a template out of cardboard first, so that you can then cut the tiles to the correct curve, and size.

Seems simple given that I have never tiled before............but am about to................
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

CCarlisle what a comedian !! I only asked because maybe in the states there is a different name for it as he asked me what I meant by cemented down! So i was trying to explain as best I could.....
Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Tileguy

Trevina,

OK, London makes it a bit more difficult. However, I have run across several tile setters from there on a few of the other forums I am a member of. If you'll let me know where in London (approx) you are located, maybe one of them may be able to help?

Jaz

Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #11

Jazman,

Thanks that would be great!! I am based in Highbury North London --Home of the Gunners!!

Trevina
Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #12

If you can send us a photo, then we know how your toilet is fit to the floor with cement. I think it is just applied grout around the toilet base to protect moisture penitrating. If it is grout or some time it may be a scilicant sealer, not hard to remove. Then unscrew the two screw and remove the toilet. May be you have to lift it or move it to forward.

I f you think you cannt remove thr toilet, do tiling around it. Buy a diamond disk and tile cutter to cut tiles to the shape of toilet bas. (it is not expensive) , After the tiling, apply sealent (same colour as grout)
around toilet base.

I have done tiling for my two toilets as my DIY project. It is much better than profesional tilers.

mpj111 is offline   Reply With Quote