Laying 5/8" Bamboo Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laying 5/8" Bamboo Flooring

Hello all,
I've done a bit of research on my subject so I hope to keep this is simple. I'm covering about 404sq ft using bamboo wood that is 5/8" thick. By my estimate, I should be using a nail about 1 1/2 inches long with a floor nailer using 80psi.
I understand how to start, which way to face the wood (nail through tongue), spacing from wall, etc.
What has become confusing is the nailing. I read in the contractor section a whole lot about nails versus staples versus cleats.
I know bamboo is probably a bit hard/brittle.
Questions:
1. Which should I use to secure this wood flooring?
2. Should I use builders felt in between subfloor and flooring?
I thank you ahead.

If you don't mind including an email to me in your response, it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Eric

Advertisement

kirkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I installed about 1500 sq ftt of bamboo (horizontal grain) in my home and helped a buddy do 2500 sq ft of vertical grain in his home. In my home, I used cleats and it's been fine (2 years now).

In my friends home, we used staples (just to see) and the results appeared to be the same.

We used 15 guage nailers near the walls where the nailer wouldn't reach with Construction adhesive.

Advertisement

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Did you use builders felt between flooring and subfloor? I am going with cleats at this point.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
I installed about 1500 sq ftt of bamboo (horizontal grain) in my home and helped a buddy do 2500 sq ft of vertical grain in his home. In my home, I used cleats and it's been fine (2 years now).

In my friends home, we used staples (just to see) and the results appeared to be the same.

We used 15 guage nailers near the walls where the nailer wouldn't reach with Construction adhesive.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #4

For our installation, we put felt only at the entrances, so exterior doors where rain and snow can be brought in. I used wax paper elsewhere just to make installation easier as the boards are easier to slide in and out of the tongues than directly over the plywood.

My research found that felt can be used everywhere, but the cost/benefit didn't match for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Use 15# felt though out the whole job, over lap approx 2" on the seems. make sure to cut the felt about an inch short of the wall. make sure you nail perpendictular to the floor joists. when you nail go from left to right. when you lay the flooring start with a long board, then set you next board, make sure it's at least 3-5 inches between seems, infront of the first. steps, long board, then shorter, then shorter. make sure you keep the ends 3-5 inches. try to hit thr floor joists if you can. leave no more than 3/4" of an inch from the first or last board from teh wall. you want to make sureyour molding sits on the flooring. 2" cleats will work just fine.

good luck and let me know if you have any questions...
rolldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #6

Hello,

I thank you for your help on this. I ended up using the 15lb felt and attached are a couple pictures. Turned out great.

Thanks to all.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldodge View Post
Use 15# felt though out the whole job, over lap approx 2" on the seems. make sure to cut the felt about an inch short of the wall. make sure you nail perpendictular to the floor joists. when you nail go from left to right. when you lay the flooring start with a long board, then set you next board, make sure it's at least 3-5 inches between seems, infront of the first. steps, long board, then shorter, then shorter. make sure you keep the ends 3-5 inches. try to hit thr floor joists if you can. leave no more than 3/4" of an inch from the first or last board from teh wall. you want to make sureyour molding sits on the flooring. 2" cleats will work just fine.

good luck and let me know if you have any questions...
Attached Thumbnails
Laying 5/8" Bamboo Flooring-img_0060-x-sm.jpg   Laying 5/8" Bamboo Flooring-img_0025-x-sm.jpg  

Last edited by kirkeric; 08-13-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Looks great. Good job.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #8

Looks great! Looks like horizontal grain...

Advertisement