DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lay plastic between ground and concrete slab?

36K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Philfun 
#1 · (Edited)
Below is a photo taken of my new house under construction here in the Philippines.

Before they poured the concrete slab, they installed a layer of plastic sheet on top of the ground ... and of course you can see the rebar on top of the plastic that will reinforce the cement.

A friend of mine told be that installing the plastic will somehow keep the concrete floor from drying completely and will cause problems later on when tile is layed over the slab (some areas of the finished concrete floor will have engineered wood planking with the required pad)

I would think that the plastic is a good idea since it will keep the damp earth below it from effecting the concrete slab above and maybe keep ground moisture from entering the house later on.

What do you folks think .... Good or Bad idea?

Thank's
Ron
Bacolod City, Philippines

See less See more
#9 ·
Hi, I'm a new member who is building a house in Valencia (Dumaguete), Philippines.
I have not heard of inserting plastic between the ground and the concrete slab. However, you should definitely put some sort of barrier between any plastic piping, used in the plumbing for example, and the concrete slab or any other concrete. As Mudd said, if there is no barrier, eventually the concrete will eat away at the plastic piping and cause it to leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.