DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lay New Hardwood On Hold Hardwood

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TJfive0 
#1 ·
Can you install new hardwood on old hardwood?

I just came home from a flooring store and he said it would be a big no no to install new 3/4" solid oak hardwood flooring over old 3/4" solid oak hardwood flooring.

He said within a year it would be the loudest, squeakiest, flooring you'd ever walk on. ("If you get up at midnight to get a drink of water, it will be so loud that everybody will get up at midnight")
Now my fiance is all paranoid that the floor is going to be squeaky. And she is also afraid that a floated engineered floor over it will be hollow sounding.

He also said that with 2 layers of hardwood flooring you would have even more movement of the floor and that the finish would develop cracks in the near future.
He suggested floating an engineered hardwood floor over the old hardwood floor.

The 3/4" hardwood is currently laid on diagonal 1x6 dimensional lumber.

If i screw down all the squeaky parts of the old wood floor would it be ok?

See less See more
#2 ·
The reason I want to lay new hardwood over old hardwood is to meet up with the tile i will be laying.

Currently the hardwood floor is layed directly on 1x6 diagonal dimensional lumber sitting on the joists. The hall, dining room, kitchen, and bath all have 3/4" plywood subfloor on them so the subfloor is flush with the hardwood.

I will most likely be putting ditra over the 3/4" plywood subfloor and tiling on it. This will raise the tile floor about 5/8" above the old hardwood floors.
I don't want this huge height difference, so I want to lay new hardwood floors over the old hardwood floors.

Can I?

#3 ·
you are just asking for problems down the road going over the old hardwood.
take up the hardwood and lay down 3/4 plywood so your floor heights will match and you will have no problems later.
if you spend the money for new hardwood and have problems later on you might have to replace it at a later date to fix the problems.
like TJfive0 said you got wood expanding in different directions and thats just asking for problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.