Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

Lawn roller for Vinyl Glue Down Floor?

So i need to install about 2100 sf of ( Manington Adura) vinyl plank glue down flooring in my (soon to be arriving) new home. As I will be doing it in phases to meet the schedule of other buttom up work, I figure I'll need to have a roller on hand for 4-6 days. So , if I rent a 100# floor roller, it's going to cost me $150 or so. I cold buy it for just another $50 but then what do I do with it afterwards??
So I'm thinking that a $125 poly, water filled (160#) lawn roller might work well and actually have a use when I'm done witht he floors. Thoughts?

weehooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

Did you buy the lawn roller and use it? If so how did it work? I'm about to do a floor and having the same consideration.

jibjababudab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Sorry, no. I ended up finding a 100# floor roller on my local Craigs list for $100. Now I need to bu a lawn roller as I land scape this year!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehooker
Now I need to bu a lawn roller as I land scape this year!
Buy mine, buy mine!

Lawn roller for the floor is not a good plan. However, a rolling pin..........., if you can stand being on your kneels that much. But if you're installing floors you're already there.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

I did buy a hand roller from Home Depot for $30 or so to do the edges and hard to reach places. It worked "OK" but took allot of effort because you had to really lean on it. It was better than nothing but I don't think it put the same pressure on as the 100# unit. That said, in the end, it all stayed put.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I did a floor last year with a rolling pin and had severe tendinitis pain for six months.

Here's my solution: I'm going to take a 20" piece of 6" diameter PVC, insert a piece of 1/2" PVC down the middle and fill it with cement. I can then take a piece of thread stock, use it as an axle inside the 1/2" pvc center bore and attach a handle (wood or pvc) to move it back and forth. I figure it'll cost me about $25 - a poor mans floor roller.

jibjababudab is offline   Reply With Quote