Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

lauan as underlayment?

I've searched, and didn't find an answer that pertains close enough to my situation, so I am going to post my question.
I'm going to be laying some floating click lock bamboo flooring in my kitchen and living room. The floor will not be even once I remove my carpet in the living room, there will be about .25" deviation. My question is can I use quarter inch lauan as my underlayment under the bamboo?
The subfloor is 19/32" OSB with 16" joists. Going to be laying the floor perpindicular to the joists.
I am leaning toward lauan because of the price, but have been reading some negative things about it. Most of the bad press is regarding the use of adhesives on top of it though. Since my floor is floating, I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on this, or is there a better choice?
Thanks
Michael

Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

lauan as underlayment?

Will it work, yes but Far better to just use 1/4 underlayment rated plywood so at a later date if someone want to change the floors to something else it it could stay.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

lauan as underlayment?

And luan may have voids in the plys that can collapse.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

lauan as underlayment?

Your not going to get luon in 1/4" anyway.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

lauan as underlayment?

Why do you say that Jetswet? Claims to be .25", unless you're referring to actual thickness, vs nominal?
Anyway, I've decided on a 5 ply ACX or BCX product. The difference in price isn't significant enough to risk my flooring project in the long run.
Thanks all.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

lauan as underlayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Michael
Why do you say that Jetswet? Claims to be .25", unless you're referring to actual thickness, vs nominal?
Anyway, I've decided on a 5 ply ACX or BCX product. The difference in price isn't significant enough to risk my flooring project in the long run.
Thanks all.
It's like 1/8 or 3/16. Almost 1/4" but not.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

lauan as underlayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
It's like 1/8 or 3/16. Almost 1/4" but not.
as long as we're talking nominal thickness, does anyone know if there's a product that's actually 9/32" insted of 1/4"? I've still got a VERY thin layer of vinyl in the kitchen that I'd rather not take off if I can help it. And, would an extra 1/32" deviation be noticeable in the finished flooring?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

lauan as underlayment?

You have sheet vinyl now? Why not just leave it and go over it?.... But take in fact that your floating floor plus vapor barrier will take up hight so you might not need to replace the luon to Mach up to carpet.

Last edited by JetSwet; 10-03-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

lauan as underlayment?

I've taken off one thicker layer of vinyl flooring, and the 1/4" underlayment in the kitchen already. Below, is another much thinner layer of vinyl and 1/4" underlayment. I'm going to go over this. Where it meets the living room is where I'm removing carpet, placing new 1/4" plywood to match the kitchen height and laying my bamboo over the whole floor. So the only height difference is in this VERY thin layer of older vinyl, maybe 1/32" or thinner. This, plus the glue they used, adds up to about 1mm. Does anyone think that height variation will affect my final floor? Or will it get absorbed by my underlayment?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #10

lauan as underlayment?

It's not going to be an issue witha floating floor.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

lauan as underlayment?

I agree that is is NOT really an issue. If you have any concerns - roll out 30# roofing felt. It is widely used with nail down strip oak and would have no negative under a "floating" bamboo.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #12

lauan as underlayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc555
I agree that is is NOT really an issue. If you have any concerns - roll out 30# roofing felt. It is widely used with nail down strip oak and would have no negative under a "floating" bamboo.
It's isn't a issue with using luon but I can tell you if you use roofing paper for a VB there will be issue...a big one. Roofing paper does not belong under laminate of any kind.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

lauan as underlayment?

Hey Jet,
Where did you hear that? Click-lock Bamboo is not laminate. He's installing over OSB - I'm not saying the 30# felt is a vapor barrier - it's a shim, in this case.Michael, is there a foam backer ON the bamboo already?

Last edited by pgc555; 10-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
pgc555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

lauan as underlayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc555
Hey Jet,
Where did you hear that? Click-lock Bamboo is not laminate. He's installing over OSB - I'm not saying the 30# felt is a vapor barrier - it's a shim, in this case.Michael, is there a foam backer ON the bamboo already?
Just because its bamboo doesn't mean it's laminate as well. Floating & interlocking = laminate in my book. Anyway doesn't belong under or on top of the VB.