Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Randy in Kenyon

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Latex self leveling compound for wooden floor

Hi folks...

I have seen/read many accounts of using a latex or vinyl self leveling compound on wavy or sagging floors but cannot find a definitive reference as to what to buy or how to install.

Here's my issue.

I am renovating my almost 100 year old house and the living room is 12 x 24 with poorly maintained T&G maple that is wavy and has some cupping. I would like to install vinyl plank floating floor like Allure on it.

The T&G has been screwed with 2" construction screws into the floor joists in order to reduce the groaning and squeeking in the floor (and that has worked) but we still have some of the mild cupping and waviness.

What I would like to do is to use a filler or leveler just in some of the dips to reduce the waviness.

Remember that the floor is wooden and will still have some movement although not like the trampoline it once was..

I am concerned about using the concrete based products because my fear is that the edges that are feathered to very thin will crack or crumble and then be a poor base for the floating floor above.

So to the group here, what say you? What have you done or used successfully?

BTW - in this case, pulling up the floor or putting another layer of underlayment cannot be done. I have to deal with the floor that I have with a minimal amount of construction, etc as the room is totally finished save for the floor. I had thought of sanding but the amount of dust would be prohibitive.

Thanks!!

Regards - Randy

Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

You have eliminated all the right ways to fix this once and for all.
Without removing the floor you have now, or working from below to fix those floor joist I see no way any type of floor leveler is going to hold up.
Fixing the floor right would have little effect on the finished room.

If the floor is cupping it's almost always from a moisture problum below the floor so this needs to be addressed also.

There's also at least 700 post on here about Allour flooring, may want to check some of them out.
I've used it on three jobs and have not had any issues with it except for the smell for a few days after installing it. Other people have not been so lucky.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Randy in Kenyon

Rewards Points: 0

Hi Joe,

The floor is over a basement space that has been totally finished and the ceiling can't be torn out.
The cupping is more likely due to the fact that this floor had precious little varnish on it and most of the wood has been exposed. The floor has been covered with carpeting for probably the last 50 years. It is what it is.

I have read all the posts/threads on Allure and I am not overly concerned. There are no moisture problems with this floor. The cupping has been gradual over 50+ years.

The dips are no more than 1/2". The cupping is more like 1/64" to 1/8"..

Thanks for any help you can offer here...

P.S. The Allure would most likely be fine over the floor the way it is, but I would rather make sure that there are no visible dips in the final product..

Regards - Randy
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Any linolium flooring will end up taking the shape of whatever it's sitting on.
Engineer, or laminite flooring with a pad under it will span the low spots far better and are just as easy to install as Allour, and may even be cheaper.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote