Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Wood flooring for duplex

My wife and I own a duplex and I would like to update the flooring in both sides. We live in one side and rent the other out. I have been looking at laminate wood flooring with a 50 yeAr warranty. I think Pergo was the manufacturer. I want something heavy duty, commercial grade and that is durable. I have heard that laminate is susceptible to water damage. I have also considered vinyl wood flooring. Right now I am dead set on laminate flooring. But does anyone really have experiences with both that can give me a definite answer on which to choose? I like the installation ease of both, but need more convincing which is better before I purchase the stuff.

jukeboxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Will I can say that if your dead set on laminate that you will want a 10 or 12mm grade laminate it's almost like engineered hardwood. The higher mm grade the better feel and look.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,112

Don't buy it because of the warranty. All flooring products have so many loopholes in the warranty that they aren't worth much.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-23-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

What kind of advice is that?.... You want a good warranty and you want to fallow it as well. Laminate is very simple to put down if you know what your doing.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

If you get Pergo I say be VERY careful how you clean it. We moved into a house in 2005 that had it in the kitchen - it was newer. I guess we didn't pay attention and cleaned it with whatever. A few years later the shine was gone, it was dull and looked gross. I had to resort to using Mop & Glo on it and it's not pretty in socks. My poor kids.

This reulted in a huge ripping up of not only that layer but many layers below to subfloor and replacing with porecelain...which we are very happy with.

So lesson learned. Had the Pergo sill looked new I might have kept it but I guess I have a sour taste in my mouth about laminate.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Ammonia and warm water or the laminate cleaner they sell at box stores are the only thing safe for laminate.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

What about water issues with laminate? Or would vinyl be a better option for a duplex? Some tenants respect other peoples property and some don't. I would like to choose an option that is extremely durable. I don't want to have to replace the floor after 3 years or so. Oh and thank you all for the feedback.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #8

I have installed very many in apartments some just kitchens some hole apartments. The cheap laminates will last 5-7 years if taken care of and with more expensive laminates can double the those years.
I have it in my kitchen when the dishes are done its common cense to wipe the water drops up if any.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
I have installed very many in apartments some just kitchens some hole apartments. The cheap laminates will last 5-7 years if taken care of and with more expensive laminates can double the those years.
I have it in my kitchen when the dishes are done its common cense to wipe the water drops up if any.
Yeah, you, wipe it up but he will have tenants....you can't control their every move.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

But the same token you don't want to put real expensive stuff in for the purpose.
Not to profile but the more $$ you rent out for likely better kept tenants.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Oh yeah that is what I plan on doing with rent. Currently I get 900 monthly out of a two bedroom, one and half bath, roughly 1000 sqr. Ft. The side we currently live could pull in close to 1200 monthly. It's a little larger, 1150 sqr. Ft., plus it has a 12 x16 shed, 12 x20 deck, which are new. A lot of amenities with the property. The kitchens and flooring of both units need an overhaul. They are not in bad condition, but I would like you said increase the rent with the addition of new flooring and cabinets. Probably closer to 1000 per month.

I think the laminate planks may be the way to go then. Does anyone else have any suggestions or recommendation on flooring type, quality, experiences, etc...
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #12

I am not a big fan of the laminate. Any water even over moping causes the floor to expand and seams to swell. In 5 years most floors look ugly. I would use a vinyl plank. Karndean makes the best. A little pricey but the only floor you will have to buy. For a rent house that is saying something.
Thefloorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #13

Laminate flooring is a beautiful floor covering provided it is installed and maintained correctly.You can find some useful info on both here. The vinyl planks are not a real popular choice in this area but I have installed it several times with no complaints.In my opinion the laminate is a much better looking floor and is better ar hiding subfloor imperfections. Cost for installation varies by region and condition of installation surface.

Last edited by Floor installer; 06-22-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: badlink
Floor installer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Floor installer For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #14

I checked out the vinyl flanks from that company suggested above. Im having them send samples and a catalogue. I love the fact that they have the benefit of vinyl in that they are virtually waterproof. And they have textured planks too. So I think I may be going with this product if they samples are decent. Thank you everyone for your advice.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Glad to be of assistance. Thanks for checking out my link.

Floor installer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring installation, laminate flooring