Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |

laminate vs. wood flooring

obviously you can tell I am a novice at building. So here goes the preverbial question: Which flooring is better for a sunroom? Laminate or engineered hardwood? We have taken into account the cost on both, but prefer to put down the one that would hold up better.
You will enter the sunroom from off the backdeck (the back yard) We do have two young children who play out back so this door entrance will be used frequently. Not to mention that the room will receive a lot of sun.

raghib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

Lam flooring is more durable and will not fade, so technically is would be considered better based on your info.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Tileguy

I think both would be bad choices.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #4

Three years ago I was trying to decide which one to use also. I ended up putting down the laminate. I really like it because I do daycare and have kids here all the time and so far I haven't noticed any damage. At first I put a sign inside the front door asking people to take their shoes off. The kids did very well with that but a few of their parents thought the sign wasn't meant for them. So I've had some puddles and slush on the floor but as long as I clean it up right away there's no problem. Our dog's claws haven't scratched it either. I've dropped knives and canned veggies on it and the little guys ride the tricycles on it and it's fine.

The kind I have has an embossed 'woodgrain', so it's suppose to look more like real wood.

My sister ordered theirs and I ordered ours from a company in Texas http://www.builddirect.com/ (not the Buy Direct company you see in the commercials on tv). I compared the price to the exact same product at Lowe's and I saved a little over $400, even after paying about $500 for shipping it from there. In addition to the money we saved, we ended up with about 345 sq. ft. extra because with that company you have to buy a full skid.

I have to say though, if it weren't for us adults, the kids and the dog, I would still rather have real wood floors.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses. I have weighed the option of carpet or tile--but don't like the "cons" on the lists of pros and cons.
We installed a hickory hardwood floor in our den last year and LOVE it. Even when a glass of water was spilled on it, it was cleaned quickly and no marks were left. It is also right off the front door's foyer and sometimes "damp" shoes have walked across it this winter.

Our biggest concern is sunlight and "Wet" since we do live in northern Ohio and we get snow and rain. The skylights will face the south therefore offering additional light to the room. We did buy low-e, double paned, UV block windows. does that help with sun fade?

Thanks again for the help. It is odd though, isn't it? You say "technically" laminate would be better. And obviously, it has held up in your home with daycare....but deep in our hearts we all prefer hardwood!?!

Thank you so much for the advice....it IS a hard choice and when you are investing so much money. It is awesome to get advice from people who have been there or have more knowledge than I. Just trying to put down the "best" option.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

Was told by a realtor friend of mine today that laminate does NOT add value to a home. Real wood is always to best for selling. NOt that we plan on moving in the next five or ten years, but I also don't plan on relaying the floor in the next five or ten years.

Why is this so confusing?????

Love feel and sound of hardwood......floor will be exposed to LOT of sunshine, and possible "wet shoes"

Lisa
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
onlinehandyman

Actually I would agree with an earlier post that both are not the best choices. Laminate is very durable, but not in that kind of location because of possible water and I don't really like wood either because of wear. Your best choice would be some type of tile or stone.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-16-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: WEB LINK REMOVED FROM SIGNATURE LINE
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

I just wanted to relate a personal experience from someone I know. They put down from a Local Retail Store (not Home Depot or Lowes) 2400 sf of high end laminate. They had it professionally installed and it cost them around $30,000.

This was three years ago. A year later it had developed some warping and some bubbling. The retailer would not do anything and insists it is what they are putting on it. So they tried a couple more times to get them to respond and help but they would not. They did put a moisture meter on it and found none. Now this is an elderly man and woman. They are not that hard on their floor.

So I just wanted you to see that side of the story too. I know someone else who has lots of kids and animals in and out and hates the laminate. It has peeled and scratched and looks horrible and wishes she did tile. We laid some tile down and it is easier than one would think. First time and it looks very nice.

So I would have to agree tile or stone too. :

Last edited by jennydavis; 01-13-2009 at 05:49 PM.
jennydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #9

Let's not forget that millions of people live on laminate they truely love and are happy with it.
If you want moisture PROOF then lam is not the answer.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #10

i put some lam in my house and i wish i didnt it looked great on the display but i personally feel its very plastic looking and sounding.Tile or slate would be a better choice in a sun room
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #11

True...a sunroom usually is better looking with tile but the suggestion that lam is very plastic looking as a whole is incorrect.
Please look at all lams on the market and re-evaluate that suggestion.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #12

Laminate looks nice, but with real wood, you can see where the boards are joined together and that makes it look nicer to me. I love my laminate, but if there ever is a spot that wears down, I have to live with it or replace it, which would be a pain but not impossible. With real wood, it can be sanded and refinished. I have to agree with jennydavis, the tile would be good for an area that gets wet and it could look great too.

I'm curious as to which company wouldn't stand up to their warranty after getting that kind of money for their inferior product. Maybe they could use a little publicity here on the internet. Sorry, that's not nice of me.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 01-13-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: change one word
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #13

Appreciate all the chat. Does it make a difference in thought that we also expanded our basement when we added the room so that the room is on a wood subfloor with basement under?

Obviously, I don't want any laminate like your friends used.
Floorwizard do you have laminate suggestions?
What about engineered hardwood? Kinda of a tweener between laminate and solid hardwood?

I am hearing Tile, but like I said, this will be a very "lived" in space, off our family room (to be separated by french doors) and I find tile cold. Like I said we have it in our foyer and main hallway, which by the way, the grout around two tiles keeps coming OUT, we have lifted the tiles, sanded the bottoms twice! We have regrouted more times than we can count and NOTHING works. Part of why I am hesitant about tile. Plus with the kids it isn't a good "sit on floor" surface.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #14

Laminate suggestions -
Wilsonart
Quickstep
Mannington
Armstrong

Wood is good too and will add value to the home most likely however it is softer and more expensive. your choice.

The reason grout cracks and comes loose is because of deflection (movement) in the floor.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #15

Your recommendation is taken wholeheartedly. I will look at those brands when we head to the flooring store. What about inch? 3mm 7mm ect
We used Armstrong engineered hickory floor in playroom/computer room...like the brand, although like you said the cost was MUCH more. Partly do to the fact we chose hickory over oak.

Do you know anything about CORK---would that be a viable option in this sunroom?

I guess I can't stop deflection from occurring. How can I "fix" the tile floor without having to redo it all. We bought this home from another and there is NO replacement tile for foyer and hall. Can't afford a new floor there as well right now. Any grouting or "filler" that would stay better than another.
Happy for the help.