Laminate Vs. Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Laminate vs. hardwood

I am in an internal debate between laminate wood and hardwood flooring. I plan on installing it myself, so my limited handyman skills has me leaning towards a floating laminate floor. Would real hardwood be that much harder to install? Is it worth the extra money and work?

Advertisement

jjones1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #2

Laminate vs. hardwood

I also have two young kids that will probably be rough on the floor

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 636

Laminate vs. hardwood

If you looking for a cheap fairly easy floor to install and not looking to add value to the home it will work as long as waters kept away from it.
Something as a having a dogs water dish with not mat under it can distroy it.
If the kids spill something you need to get it wiped up right away.
Do not use it in a bathroom.

Main reason DIY installs fail is they do not read all the install directions.
Main area where it's done wrong is around doorways.

A simple tip when installing it is do not just try and lock it in with one motion.
Line up the grove and work the piece up and down as it's sliding in place to get it fully locked, if you just try and do it in one motion the flooring likes to try and lift.
Look for the Roberts brand install tools not the ones that may be marked "Pergo". Last time I looked Lowes had them. It's a Z bar and a Tapping block.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Laminate vs. hardwood

Are you comparing 3/4" hardwood to a wood engineered floor--or the Formica covered laminate?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
greetings from Bolivia

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

Laminate vs. hardwood

hello,
yes for a hardwood floor you need special tools such as a nailing machine.
A hardwood floor is also more expensive to buy and ideally you should put yet another under floor of 4 x 8' plywood underneath for insulation and keep everything levelled.
However, it is comparing an old honda civic with a nice and bright bentley, besides, after a few years you can sand the floor and you'll enjoy once again a brand new floor. hardwood floor therefore is on the long term cheaper and a very good investment for your house as well.
harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Laminate vs. hardwood

What I've liked so far is 8mm laminate with attached underpayment(Hampton bay) at Home Depot. We plan on selling in a couple years. I don't think I have seen engineered hardwood. Where would be a good place to check that out. The simpleness of floating floor is appealing but I don't want to put in something that would turn off potential buyers later.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Laminate vs. hardwood

[QUOTE=jjones1020;1134646 but I don't want to put in something that would turn off potential buyers later.[/QUOTE]

.....in a nutshell....
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

Laminate vs. hardwood

Laminate is cheap and looks cheap.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam floor For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-17-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Laminate vs. hardwood

engineered hardwood flooring can be put down as a floating floor like laminate and will add more value to the home than any laminate floor will.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Laminate vs. hardwood

Click lock engineered hardwood is good? If so, all I would need to prep is put down an underlayment? Any recommendation on where to buy from. We have a lumber liquidators nearby.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Laminate vs. hardwood

Another question .... If I did go real hardwood, would I really have to put another layer of plywood beforehand. I have 3/4 inch as subfloor over a crawl space. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any input
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Laminate vs. hardwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones1020 View Post
Another question .... If I did go real hardwood, would I really have to put another layer of plywood beforehand. I have 3/4 inch as subfloor over a crawl space. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any input
No.

I'll let others quiz you about the crawl space though. You want to make sure you don't have moisture problems.

FWIW, I have found hardwood easier to install than the cheaper, click-together products. I bought a refurbished nailer so my tooling costs weren't stupid.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Laminate vs. hardwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones1020 View Post

Don't feel bad about questions. Thats the purpose of this place. I would help you but Im mostly a pupil and not a teacher around here.

I'm sure a pro is just around the corner and he/she will be glad you waited for pro advice rather then have to fix a costly mistake after the fact.

As a pro in my field I can say with confidence that given the choice, hardwood overules laminate in every way.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Laminate vs. hardwood

personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a lumber liquidators until you read some reviews online about them. don't read the reviews on their site either.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Laminate vs. hardwood

I also concur with Danny's opinion on Lumber Liquidators....if you really compare their prices...they are NOT a bargain.

I've done both (as a DIY'r)......the engineered stuff has come a long way and if not abused, can give you many years of good service. Downside...you can't really repair it....as in sand and restain. It's a one use deal.

With real hardwood (most of my house is solid oak hw from the 50's), you can sand and re-stain/seal it....several times....but patching damaged spots is not exactly easy if you have to pull out a piece.

With engineered....you can put down the plastic liner...adds cushion to the floor and in my opinion, makes it slightly warmer. Believe it or not, I did the entire 2nd floor of my garage with cheap laminate. I'm surprised at how easy it was to install and how well it's holding up....and I'm talking cheap....like $0.80/sq ft stuff.

Based on that experience, we will be using engineered in one of the new bedrooms. The rest will be tile or original hw (hey, a pub has to have old real oak)

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote