Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate or Trafficmaster Allure?

Looked through the Trafficmaster Allure postings and hesitated whether it's good idea to install it as it gets mixed reviews. I can find cheap laminate in the same price range. Any idea which one is better? I am not concerned about the water problem for laminate as it will not be in the water area. Is laminate very hard to install? My imagination is, with the Allure one has to glue pieces together in one shot, whereas laminate you just simply snap them together.

diy1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Not quite as simple as all that.
I've used a lot of both, both are pretty simple to install. Allour needs less tools to install, Just need a heavy duty pair of snips.

With Lminite you really need a jig saw, compound mitre saw, tapping block, Z bar. Plus a cheaper grade will need a foam pad under it which adds to the cost.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not quite as simple as all that.
I've used a lot of both, both are pretty simple to install. Allour needs less tools to install, Just need a heavy duty pair of snips.

With Lminite you really need a jig saw, compound mitre saw, tapping block, Z bar. Plus a cheaper grade will need a foam pad under it which adds to the cost.
I can get the tools for laminate, how is the chance of getting it screwed up? I am worried about Allure's quality, it is really a thin piece of vinyl, does it need padding too? It will be installed aside of tile floor, I am afraid the Allure side would be too low and tile being high. Isn't that all the laminate need padding?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1618 View Post
I can get the tools for laminate, how is the chance of getting it screwed up? I am worried about Allure's quality, it is really a thin piece of vinyl, does it need padding too? It will be installed aside of tile floor, I am afraid the Allure side would be too low and tile being high. Isn't that all the laminate need padding?
I've never once had an issue with Allour, even have it in one of my rental houses. After a few years it still looks like new.
When you get DIY installers installing it and not leaving the gap around the edges or not rolling it down with a hand floor roller, you will have issues.
It does smell like fresh latex paint for a few days after installing.
And it's not thin, in fact it's pretty thick.

Any differant floor of any kind up against the tile is going to need a trasition stip.
Allure and laminite are both floating floors the transition stip is there so the floor can expand and contract.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
I've never once had an issue with Allour, even have it in one of my rental houses. After a few years it still looks like new.
When you get DIY installers installing it and not leaving the gap around the edges or not rolling it down with a hand floor roller, you will have issues.
It does smell like fresh latex paint for a few days after installing.
And it's not thin, in fact it's pretty thick.

Any differant floor of any kind up against the tile is going to need a trasition stip.
Allure and laminite are both floating floors the transition stip is there so the floor can expand and contract.
I read the Allure thread and someone said it is not meant to be rolled, is it critical to do the rolling?

Is there a need to have padding under Allure? I am imagining stepping on the Allure on top of concrete would not be good to the feet.

In the scale of 10, how do you rank the difficultiness of installing Allure and laminate, 1 is the easiest, 10 is the most difficult. I guess Allure might be easy to install, but once you mis-aligned it, it's not possible to correct, but for laminate, one can always undo and start over again.

Last edited by diy1618; 09-26-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1618 View Post
I read the Allure thread and someone said it is not meant to be rolled, is it critical to do the rolling?
That's what happens when someone posts the wrong info. YES, IT NEEDS TO BE ROLLED. IT'S IN THE INSTRUCTIONS. The DIYer who posted that it didn't need to be rolled was wrong.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

I forgot to ask about what it was going over, now that we know, is this an above grade slab or a basement?
There's extra steps to take when going over concrete.
Any hard flooring over concrete is going to feel colder and hard on the feet.
Ever been any moisture issues whith this room or floor?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
I forgot to ask about what it was going over, now that we know, is this an above grade slab or a basement?
There's extra steps to take when going over concrete.
Any hard flooring over concrete is going to feel colder and hard on the feet.
Ever been any moisture issues whith this room or floor?
It's above grade slab. There is no moisture issues. This area is pretty dry throughout the year.

What are the extra steps to do for laminate and allure over concrete?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

I installed Allure Ultra in an area where spills and wear were an issue. Its installation was comparable to that of laminate (yes, fewer tools but sometimes using a tool is easier). No worries about rolling, misalignment, thinness, etc. but it costs more.

If you don't need the waterproof qualities, I'd probably select the laminate.

No matter what you select, you're going to be on your hands and knees while installing it. And nothing has ever been "simply snap it together" for me. It's usually beat on it, finagle it, curse, pull it, push it, twist it...good enough.

Here's what it looks like in clear cherry:

Last edited by zakany; 09-28-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add photo
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zakany For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #10

Great work! Did you install on top of concrete? How long has it been so far?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

That's on the second floor. My son is disabled and prone to "accidents." While I got very good at cleaning crap out of carpeting, I got tired of showing off that skill. The rest of the house is getting solid hickory floors,but that's not a solution for his room. He, also, enjoys shoving his fruniture around. This Allure Ultra stuff is, essentially, a quarter-inch thick rubber floor that doesn't scratch easily. It has a nice texture, so it's not slippery but the texture is shallow enough to not trap dirt.

I'm in the process of making him a maple twin bed to replace that plastic toddler bed. He won't be shoving that bed around the room!

I only have about four months of experience with this flooring, so far. Any place where the seams didn't butt up perfectly, I put a thin line of color-matched silicone caulk.

I did put Pergo in our dining room about fifteen years ago. It's much slipperier and it lost a chunk of top coat about the size of a quarter just a couple years into its life (no further damage, though).

Last edited by zakany; 09-28-2012 at 07:35 PM.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #12

I installed Trafficmaster Allure tile look flooring in my master bedroom 2 1/2 years ago over dry, clean, level concrete. I wanted something water resistant to dog messes and clean up. It went down relatively easily, is easy to clean, looks very good, and is holding up to the dogs toenails walking on it. If you need to reposition it, you can separate the adhesives carefully if you do it soon after joining them and before rolling them, yes they need rolling. We used a small hand roller. It did NOT cut easily with the knife, but could also be cut with tin snips. I had no problems with the seams lifting. However, the flooring I purchased SMELLED very strongly for a VERY long time. It made installation uncomfortable and we worked with the windows open. I thought it would eventually go away. I tried the vinegar wash, bleach solution (no it did NOT affect the color), and odor ban. I used a room air purifier. The smell is not as strong now, but can still be detected after the room has been closed up. The difficulty is that the chemicals in the adhesive or the flooring itself has been making me sick. I did not first attribute the sinus irritation and resulting severe sinus infections with the floor. I have also had headaches (the first migraine I ever had), itchy eyes, stuffy nose, and inflamed sinuses. I have been in and out of doctors offices since installing this floor. When I move out of the master bedroom and stay in the second bedroom I begin to improve in health, when I move back into the master bedroom I get sick again. When I went on vacation and was out of the house for longer periods of time all of the sinus issues disappear, but return when I arrive home and stay in the bedroom. The sinus issues escalate over time and are worse when the air and heat are shut off so that the air is not circulated in the house. I live in Florida so do not use much heat in the winter. Additionally, my golden retriever mix dog is having allergic reactions, but is responding to Benedryl. He sleeps on the Allure floor. When I asked a flooring associate at Home Depot where I purchased the flooring about it I was told that no one had complained about such issues with this floor. I am in the process of contacting the company to try to get a refund on the flooring, reimbursement for flooring removal, and out of pocket expenses for the doctors visits and medicines. The flooring will be removed as soon as it is possible and I will not be sleeping in the room until it is removed. When I went online to find contact information for the company I also found many others who have had health issues with this flooring, some even more severe than mine. This is a flooring that Home Depot should not be selling. I would NOT recommend this flooring. The newer click lock flooring may not have this issue, but is the problem in the adhesive or in the floor itself? Only the company knows and it is apparently not doing anything about it.

Last edited by unhappy; 10-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.
unhappy is offline   Reply With Quote