Laminate T-Molding Nailed Down? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Laminate T-Molding Nailed Down?

This past week, we had a flooring guy contracted by Home Depot install some laminate flooring. I thought it was odd that he didn't use the metal "U" grooves when he installed the T-Molding transitions but rather threw them out and just nailed the T-molding pieces down. On all 4 room transitions, there is a gap created from, what I assume is the T-molding forcing the flooring down too far. See pictures. I've also tried to draw a diagram of what happened the best I can.

We contacted Home Depot who contacted the installer (we don't know who they are so no direct contact). We were then told by Home Depot that the installer said, "no, we never use those grooves and just nail them down". Needless to say, we're not happy with the job. Thought I'd get a couple of opinions here before I decide to raise heck a bit.

For you pros, is this common? Would you stand by an install like this? Am I being too picky?

Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate T-Molding Nailed Down?-diagram.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

henlij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

He did not do it right. May not be easy getting them to fix it tho.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
henlij (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
He did not do it right. May not be easy getting them to fix it tho.
If they don't fix it, I was planning on trying to remove the t-molding myself. I'm hoping that the nails will just pull through the molding. I saved the metal grooves and perhaps can just re-install. I just hope that the tongue and groove isn't stressed too much. Not sure I want to replace much more on my own. The whole point of having an installer was to have it done right.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Wrong wrong wrong, that installation is just plain wrong.

The metal channels can be a pain in the ass to use, that's why they didn't use them. They have also ruined the transition pieces by punching nail holes in them, let HD replace those pieces for you.

Just because "they never use them" correctly doesn't mean the standard has changed.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
henlij (12-01-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

Update. I met with the installer....

Installer: "no one uses the tracks, they are complete junk."

Me: "I wasn't able to find any place that advocates using nails."

Installer: "where did you look?"

Me: "online"

Installer: "ha, I can find all sorts of things online. No one uses them anymore"

Long story short, I asked him to pull up the pieces and I'd replace them, using the tracks myself. Of course, the nails destroyed the modlings during removal so I have to get new ones.

Another lesson learned. I'll post a follow-up once I have them replaced. Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Tileguy

Let the original supplier pay for the new moldings. That installer is just plain lazy and thinks you are stupid. Run his ass off and lock the doors behind him. Those channels are used everyday or they wouldn't be in the marketplace.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Let the original supplier pay for the new moldings. That installer is just plain lazy and thinks you are stupid. Run his ass off and lock the doors behind him. Those channels are used everyday or they wouldn't be in the marketplace.
I didn't see this reply, sorry for the delay in response. Two things.

1. I don't deal well with confrontation. This whole thing will be less stressful if I just fix it on my own.

2. The pieces they installed were pieces I bought on my own some time ago when I was planning on doing the rest of the house. I just ran out of time. The transitions were bought at a Menards and the work was contracted by a Home Depot. If I went into the Home Depot making a deal out of this, perhaps they would do something but it just isn't worth it to me.

So, I just spent 40 bucks on 4 more pieces from Menards and will get them installed soon. I'll post a follow-up picture.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
1. I don't deal well with confrontation. This whole thing will be less stressful if I just fix it on my own.
I can understand that. Most people aren't like me and they would rather cower than risk a confrontation. This is exactly what mechanics like that guy are counting on. They know they can blow smoke and back someone down nine times out of ten. This is why there is so much shoddy work in this country done by unskilled people claiming to be professionals.

Quote:
2. The pieces they installed were pieces I bought on my own some time ago when I was planning on doing the rest of the house.
That doesn't matter the guy still should have done the work properly.

Quote:
So, I just spent 40 bucks on 4 more pieces from Menard's and will get them installed soon. I'll post a follow-up picture.
Good luck with it!

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote