Laminate/Synthetic Flooring Over Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate/Synthetic flooring over hardwood

Ok; I need help trying to figure out the best approach for saving our hardwood floors. We have dogs and they are beginning to ruin parts of our hardwood flooring.

I would like to save the hardwood floors so hopefully at some point we can enjoy them without the fear of them being damaged further, so we would like to put down a laminate type of wood flooring over it for now. We are thinking the least we need to do is sand down the floors to get rid of the damaged areas and then place the flooring down over it at that point. Will they be more susceptible to damage being left with nothing sealing the wood? Should we leave them damaged and worry about that when we uncover them? Do we have to completely refinish them and then wait a bit to make sure everything has completely cured and then cover them?

What is the right approach??? Help???

Advertisement

nancyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

You want to put laminate down over your hardwood as temporary fix untill you repair your hardwood? Trying to understand what you ment.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No; this would not be temporary while we repaired our hardwood. It would be more of a permanent fix but we would still like to be able to have the option of uncovering the hardwood flooring some day.
nancyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

How are the dogs ruining it? By scratching it up?? Or are they not housetrained?

If its just scratching why not just live with it until you are ready to have them refinished

If they are using the floor instead of going outside, then its a whole new problem
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Well you will have to check to see if you do go laminate the the doors and ect will still open. Floor won't be to high then. It is possible though.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

If I were you I would just redo the wood floors now and if protecting them is of concern then just use a really tough finish and possibly extra coatings. By the time you pay for the laminate flooring and the cost to install it, you could just hire someone to do the wood floors. If you must put the laminate over the floors, I would just leave them as they are unless you have any areas that are raised up or not level.

Advertisement

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote