Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

laminate on stairs

I'm installing laminate on stairs and have 2 questions ... 1) do I use the underlayment? and 2) should the risers sit on top of the treads? thanks in advance for the help
p.s. thanks for the input, but my question isn't whether or not I should put it in (I'm committed to this and i have the expansion issue handled) its about using underlayment and position of the risers/treads (please see above)

Last edited by pblooper; 09-10-2013 at 05:21 PM.
pblooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

laminate on stairs

If your talking about laminate flooring, not a great idea.
Way to many issues.
It needs to be able to expand and contract in all directions so there's no good way to finish off the ends.
The nosing they sell for doing stairs is nothing more then a paper thin layer of what looks like shelf paper and will wear through.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

laminate on stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
If your talking about laminate flooring, not a great idea.
Way to many issues.
It needs to be able to expand and contract in all directions so there's no good way to finish off the ends.
The nosing they sell for doing stairs is nothing more then a paper thin layer of what looks like shelf paper and will wear through.
Thanks for the input but I'm committed to this. the material I have is top of the line and doesn't appear paper thin whatsoever. Any thoughts on my original ?'s is appreciated.

Last edited by pblooper; 09-10-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2

laminate on stairs

Still not a good idea. The laminate will buckle and if it can't move it will split.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

laminate on stairs

Ha what do we know, we just do this stuff every day for a so called living, but there's always something new to learn.
Post a picture when your done and let us know how it works out.
Make sure to let how the slippery treads and the raised trip hazard nosings work out.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

laminate on stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Ha what do we know, we just do this stuff every day for a so called living, but there's always something new to learn.
Post a picture when your done and let us know how it works out.
Make sure to let how the slippery treads and the raised trip hazard nosings work out.
will do Joe, but what about the underlayment
and riser/thread position?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

laminate on stairs

Generally, it would be riser first and then the tread. Glue is your friend here usually, but not so when dealing with the laminate.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

laminate on stairs

Im a flooring installer and it would be risers than treads. U can choose to use basic laminate padding underlayment for help with sound. That's the only benefit of using it in this situation. You can glue or brad nail it. Leave 1/8 inch expansion on all 4 sides
Maroman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

laminate on stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblooper View Post
Thanks for the input but I'm committed to this. the material I have is top of the line and doesn't appear paper thin whatsoever. Any thoughts on my original ?'s is appreciated.
Doesn't matter how excellent a product might be if it's used for the wrong purpose. The downsides here are many, but the worst of which is someone getting seriously hurt.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

laminate on stairs

I've seen or heard of a laminate that can be glued or nailed down.
Engineered flooring yes, laminate no.
rusty baker (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

laminate on stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroman95 View Post
Im a flooring installer and it would be risers than treads. U can choose to use basic laminate padding underlayment for help with sound. That's the only benefit of using it in this situation. You can glue or brad nail it. Leave 1/8 inch expansion on all 4 sides
Laminate is never supposed to be glued or nailed.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

laminate on stairs

Its safe in this case. The last thing u want is a "floating" floor on a stair case. I.have done this many times without issues.
Maroman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

laminate on stairs

So you have installed it wrong many times and been lucky. What if this DIYer isn't lucky and someone gets hurt? The laminate makers say their products are not to be glued or nailed.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Stairguy

laminate on stairs

Most, or perhaps all, laminate flooring has an mdf core which needs to be able to expand or contract. Gluing down will perhaps void any warranty on the product. Although i dont like this product on stairs and do not reccommend it, it does get used. Why redo the stairs at all if your just going to use an inferior product. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Oh, btw, risers always go first and use substrate reccommend on the box of laminate flooring.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #15

laminate on stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
Most, or perhaps all, laminate flooring has an mdf core which needs to be able to expand or contract. Gluing down will perhaps void any warranty on the product. Although i dont like this product on stairs and do not reccommend it, it does get used. Why redo the stairs at all if your just going to use an inferior product. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Oh, btw, risers always go first and use substrate reccommend on the box of laminate flooring.
This is an interesting issue. I am laying down Bruce Lock&Fold engineered wood on my stairs but I haven't been able to predict how it will act if it needs expansion on all sides (similar to my main floor), especially the front side that abuts to the stair nose. I thought to glue the planks down and keep the plank sides fairly flush to the sides of the stair molding. Should I rethink my approach?

chicosfsu is offline   Reply With Quote