DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Laminate Over Hardwood

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  harrymontana 
#1 ·
My wife and I have decided rather than refinishing the existing hardwood floors in our house, we are going to install new laminate flooring. The house is 70 years old and has a pier and beam foundation.

Any thoughts or suggestions on whether to use a vapor barrier and any other things to consider?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Yes, a little sad but yes. By doing laminate, we can do it a room at a time as we have time and it isn't quite as messy. Plus, I'm not great at refinishing floors so laying laminate ourselves is less expensive than having a pro come in and refinish the floors. Finally, there is nothing special about our house. It is just a small 1500 square foot house built in the early 40's.

#6 ·
My wife and I have decided rather than refinishing the existing hardwood floors in our house, we are going to install new laminate flooring. The house is 70 years old and has a pier and beam foundation.

Any thoughts or suggestions on whether to use a vapor barrier and any other things to consider?

Thanks!
Yes use vapor barrier, leave 1/4" expantion gap along perimeter, and stagger seams 12" apart.

#7 ·
That's just a shame to do that.
That's one thing that will lower the value of a home as soon as it's installed.
Did you even get a few prices to see what it would cost to have a pro come in and refinish?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.