Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Share |

Laminate over concrete slab

I am going to be installing a laminate floating floor throughout my dining room, kitchen, and living room. My quandary is that my dining room is in an addition that is on a concrete slab. This slab is also 1/4-1/2" lower than the rest of the house. I am very tired of seeing this height difference in my house, is there any way to bring the dining room up to the height of the rest of the house while not raising the floor level of the rest of the house? Thanks in advance.

Bill

gr33nw00ds07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Tileguy

Yes.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Can you explain how?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Tileguy

Yes.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

I'm not really sure if you're just not getting it or if you're trying to piss me off; you're getting pretty close to the latter. I'm just trying to get some guidance about a situation in my home. If you have none for me then please refrain from commenting.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm not really sure if you're just not getting it or if you're trying to piss me off; you're getting pretty close to the latter. I'm just trying to get some guidance about a situation in my home. If you have none for me then please refrain from commenting.
Actually every time I return here my phone rings or someone walks in and interrupts my playtime and I was trying to keep you on the hook until I can get some time for you.

But, considering the fact that you are here for free information and impatient as hell and people like me spend hours here helping others and being compensated with nothing more than a feeling of satisfaction after helping someone and considering you are obviously some kind of a prick I'll leave your answers to someone else.

Good Day Greenwood.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

Forgive me for being frank but I don't think I was being impatient; perhaps I could have phrased my reply differently. I completely understand being busy and people interrupting you constantly but all you had to do was simply state that in your first reply.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Cool

There is no need for rudeness in these posts, especially by someone who lays tiles. Laminates are not tiles. The problem you want addressed as I see it, is that you want to lay laminate in both rooms. What you need to do is pack up the lower floor using battens of suitable thickness to bring the laminate to level. If by laminates you mean floor vinyl sheet or tiles, then you would need to make up the lower floor with fibro cement sheets or hardboard, glued to the concrete slab. If you mean laminated floor boards, then battens are the go. The problem you may face is the thickness under doors (which may need to be planed accordingly) and the height difference with other rooms, unless you plan to lay the laminate throughout. Check the slab is dry before doing anything, otherwise there is the possibility of dampness being trapped beneath the laminate. cheers fro OZ land.
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Thank you for a legitimate reply. I will be using laminate wood flooring. So what I gather from this is I should use extra layers of padding on the slab to bring it level with the adjoining room?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

The simple answer is yes, you need to pack up the concrete floor with underlay sheet to get a matching level at the doorway connecting kitchen living and dining room floors. Another way I didn't mention previously, is to use a self levelling thin set screed applied over the concrete and brought up to match the level of floors in the other rooms. This is best left to experts.
The problem as I see it is not so much the dining room floor, but other rooms opening onto the kitchen living or dining room after the laminate is layed. It seems the total finished thickness will be at least 3/4", so what are your thoughts to accommodate the new height of finished floors to the rest of the house.? You might get away with high pile carpet on thick underlay, but if you had no plans to replace the floor lining to the rest of the house, your only option is a wide (2" at least) metal edge strip at each doorway, bridging betwen the different floor finishes. This can be ugly if the colour of the strip doesn't match the background.
Cheers, Joe
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Yes, you need to bring the concrete floor level up to match the other rooms. depending on what is the sub floor in the other rooms is like, and whether it's worth laying the underlay sheets right through, you can either pack the concrete with 1/4" hardboard sheets, fibro cement sheets or plywood before laying the laminate. To save on sheets and use only one layer, glue down hardboard strips which range from 1/8-1/4" thick at 12" centres if the laminate flooring is less than 3/4" thick and a little more if 3/4" or more thick. After the srips are glued to the floor, get a long straight edge and sarting from the doorway, fan the straight edge and note which strips are high, and if it's one or two, use a hand plane to plane down the high spots, or a belt sander if you don't have hand tools. Check levels again and note any more high spots. keep doing this till the straight edge shows no one strip is higher than 1/16" than any other.

Then lay the underlay sheets, nailing at 6" centres in both directions if on wood and continuous glue bead if over the strips. Allow glue to dry. You should now have a solid, level base upon which you lay your floor laminate. Again, as these come either in prepared sheets or T&G boards, you would again use an adhesive, if the underlay is a timber product, and the support floor is timber, you can secret nail the boards through the tongue, but this is a complex process and you have to be good at nailing, or hire a nail gun that uses 1"-1/2" nails. You can't do this over the concrete portion. Renail the skirtings at the new height over the new floor.

Another, simpler and cheaper method I didn't mention before is a wet process, lay a thin self levelling screed over the concrete, bring to correct floor level, allow to cure properly (10-14 days) Then lay the floor laminate gluing it with the recommended adhesive. This should be done by experts in floor finishes, though if you want to have a go, get more info about self levelling concrete finishes on the net. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #12

Wow. Thanks for all the information. Here are some pictures of the area I'm working with.

The master plan is to lay the laminate wood flooring in the dining room, kitchen, and living room with it being all one height.

I don't know what the subfloor in the kitchen area looks like just yet or what the actual height difference will be once the old flooring is pulled up in there.
Attached Images