Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Laminate layout, underlay for concrete subfloor?

I have three questions about installing laminate flooring. I would appreciate any help with one or all of these questions.

1. We are installing laminate in our house and are having a hard time figuring out what direction it should go. Our front door opens into a large living room. There is a staircase to the right and then a hallway that leads to a family room. The hallway runs perpendicular to the living room and family room. Should we run the laminate with the long dimension extending inward from the front door (forcing the long axis of the laminate panels to be perpendicular to the length of the hallway) or the other way around? We've heard that it is more inviting, and makes the living room look bigger if the long axis of the laminate extends inward from the front door however we are concerned it may look strange to have the floor panels running perpendicular to the hallway.

2. We have a concrete subfloor. What sort of underlay should we put under the laminate?

3. My husband and I have differing opinions on whether to put laminate in the kitchen or not. I think that it would look nicer and flow better to have laminate across the entire lower floor of the house, including in the kitchen. My husband worries about the laminate getting ruined if the dishwasher breaks down and leaks. Can individual panels be replaced easy enough if they are damaged provided extra panels from the same lot are purchased when the floor is installed? Or is it really not a good idea to have laminate in a kitchen?

Jen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

I would start with it being layed with the long wall in the hall. No big deal if the lam does not run parallel with the entry.
Yes you can replace planks in case of Dishwasher leakage.
good luck!

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
SM1
SandMasters ProFloorCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen25 View Post

3. My husband and I have differing opinions on whether to put laminate in the kitchen or not. I think that it would look nicer and flow better to have laminate across the entire lower floor of the house, including in the kitchen. My husband worries about the laminate getting ruined if the dishwasher breaks down and leaks. Can individual panels be replaced easy enough if they are damaged provided extra panels from the same lot are purchased when the floor is installed? Or is it really not a good idea to have laminate in a kitchen?
I would suggest tile wherever there is water.Especially with laminate.That stuff gets wet its like a sponge soakin up.Depending on which way the floor is run(both axis') it could be real easy or REAL hard to replace
SM1 is offline   Reply With Quote