Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate Layout - Need Help Please

On my longest wall that I am going to put my first row of laminate, it indents about 4 feet to the other rooms before I hit the end of the wall . My question is, do I lay the first row to the end (like pictured) or do I stop at the indention and build on that first? I'm worried that if I don't have the starting row at the wall it will move while trying to build on it. What is the best way to do this? Thank!
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate Layout - Need Help Please-living-room-001.jpg  

lusylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Laminites should not run through doorways or openings. Next to impossible to keep them lined up when you try to tap them into place.
You need a trasition strip.
That looks like your trying to start in the middle of the house.
You should be starting on an outside wall and working to the middle.
You also have to install your baseboards before installing it. There's no way to set shims and tap the pieces in place with out something soild to tap againt.
Without baseboards all you will do is crush the sheetrock and have no way to set the required gaps.
Once the floors in you install 1/4 rd. or shoe molding to cover the gaps, never nail into the floor, nail it to the baseboard.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

The only outside wall I have is even smaller with the front door. The room is longer the way pictured I thought i was supposed to run it on the long side. If I use spacers between the laminate and wall why do I need to put baseboards on first? I thought that was supposed to be last. Argh!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
  • Laminites should not run through doorways or openings. Next to impossible to keep them lined up when you try to tap them into place.
  • You should be starting on an outside wall and working to the middle.
  • You also have to install your baseboards before installing it. There's no way to set shims and tap the pieces in place with out something soild to tap againt.
I have never ever heard any of that before. That information is just plain wrong.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
12penny (01-03-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

You need to go back and read every word of the instrutions on the box or in the box of flooring.
How are you going to set shims when the flooring will end up under the sheetrock once you tap on it a few times.
Could you start there, sure but that flooring is suppost to end up near the middle of that opening where the trasition stip will go, can it be done yes with a lot of planing and know how.
Someone on here is most likly going to tell you to go ahead and install without the baseboard, big mistake. There going to tell you that you can nail shims to the sheetrock to space it out. After a few wacks the shims break off or the nail pulls out and through you all off.
I've laid at least 500 boxes of laminite, how many have you laid? (but now almost always lay prefinish engineered floor because it's real wood and does not look plastic.)
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Tileguy

lusylou,

For starting off use a 3/4" block placed against the bottom plate of the wall structure. The drywall is 1/2" thick and the flooring requires a 1/4" gap. That adds up to 3/4". The blocks will be firm and tight against the wall, they won't move, they won't break. You do not have to nail shims to the drywall that's a crazy idea. You do not need the baseboard to be installed first, that's just plain silly too.

Laminate flooring is intended to be a DIY product so you don't have to have any experience or special skills in laying it before you do it for the first time, it doesn't get any easier than laminate.

I would however begin the layout from the wall shown but actually begin the installation deep into the farthest point.

You can do this by establishing your layout where you show the slats laying in your picture then measure into the deepest area twice and snap a chalk line to follow as you back out of that area. When you get to the walls shown in the photo you should be right on your mark and can keep going.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 01-02-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
lusylou (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #7

Thank you Bud! And to JoeCaptain I DID read the instructions in the box thoroughly and it doesn't provide the information asked or I wouldn't be on here!