Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Share |
Default

Laminate installation


I am about to lay laminate flooring in my living room. I purchased an installation kit which includes spacers. However when I removed my baseboards I see that there is about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the drywall. So if I place a spacer against the wall and try to push a floor plank against it this gap causes the spacer to lean over and get pushed back to the stud behind the drywall. How can I prevent this and keep the spacers straight?

Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Laminate installation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein
I am about to lay laminate flooring in my living room. I purchased an installation kit which includes spacers. However when I removed my baseboards I see that there is about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the drywall. So if I place a spacer against the wall and try to push a floor plank against it this gap causes the spacer to lean over and get pushed back to the stud behind the drywall. How can I prevent this and keep the spacers straight?
You can use one of those fat carpenter pencils.
That's funny I'm doing the same thing lol



Laminate installation-image-1952138871.jpg

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Laminate installation


Yes but even with a pencil the same problem occurs. If you push against the pencil with a plank it will push back into the gap. So how do you prevent this?
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Laminate installation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein
Yes but even with a pencil the same problem occurs. If you push against the pencil with a plank it will push back into the gap. So how do you prevent this?
If the row moves like that when putting your next one on the side of it you have the flat bar that came with the kit just tap the entire row back out nothing should be forced with laminate.
Just keep checking your gaps.
If you have any pieces of wood strip them down so you can use that as a spacer.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,559
Default

Laminate installation


The baseboards were not suppost to be removed, only the 1/4 rd. needed to go.
I've installed at least 500 boxes of laminite and never once removed the baseboards.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Laminate installation


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
The baseboards were not suppost to be removed, only the 1/4 rd. needed to go.
I've installed at least 500 boxes of laminite and never once removed the baseboards.
Interesting joe I have always removed the base trim even if it had quarter round.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,559
Default

Laminate installation


And why would you do that? Far more work, nothing soild to set the spacers againt, the new 1/4 round or shoe would have covered up the gap needed for the expantion and contraction.
I also never use those silly spacers I use strips of plywood instead, so I do not have to keep having to deal with them tipping over or falling out of place. A single finish nail tacked into the base board will hold the plywood in place and esay to remove.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-22-2012 at 11:32 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Laminate installation


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
And why would you do that? Far more work, nothing soild to set the spacers againt, the new 1/4 round or shoe would have covered up the gap needed for the expantion and contraction.
I also never use those silly spacers I use strips of plywood instead, so I do not have to keep having to deal with them tipping over or falling out of place. A single finish nail tacked into the base board will hold the plywood in place and esay to remove.
A few reasons I do mostly apartments and I don't think the boss will go for it lol
I'm not a big fan of quarter round but your method will save time and I think the next time I do one in a house I will go for it that way thanks Joe!

I don't use the spacers either nor the block for that matter I have done enough to accomplish installs with out them
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,559
Default

Laminate installation


Anyone I know that has rentals wants it fixed fast. Leaving the baseboard will save at least a whole day of work.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Laminate installation


I removed the baseboard for two reasons. First of all it was easier to tear out my old carpet and the nail boards around the perimeter and secondly I don't like the look of quarter round.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,559
Default

Laminate installation


Good luck trying to do it that way then. No clue how your going to be able to tap in the butt joists and still leave a gap so the flooring does not buckle.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Laminate installation


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Good luck trying to do it that way then. No clue how your going to be able to tap in the butt joists and still leave a gap so the flooring does not buckle.
Usually the lip of the laminate plank is enough to get it in there it's tricky but has worked for me,
Just like under door jams getting a hole piece is tough!
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Laminate installation


Well by removing the baseboards there is already a half inch expansion gap between the half inch drywall and the stud behind it. The drywall is high enough off the floor that there is room for the laminate board to expand underneath if it has to.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stein For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (03-22-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,559
Default

Laminate installation


Guess this must be your first time installing laminite.
Tryed locking in the butt joints yet with nothing to tap againt yet?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Laminate installation


I am no carpenter, just a tinker thinker. But my suggestion would be to find a spacer like porcelain, tile or some material that is hard enough to hold ground for installation and then smash it with a chisel and use a sweeper to collect the residue.

Wyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminate floor installation tomkk Flooring 6 02-17-2012 04:20 PM
Laminate Flooring Installation - Guesstimate This Job For Me Please flowerchick Flooring 8 11-19-2011 12:57 PM
New Laminate Floor Installation Creaks.... c3uo Flooring 13 07-12-2011 12:43 PM
Laminate floor installation problems. RyansDad Flooring 2 03-31-2011 11:58 AM
Questions before laminate installation. darsunt Flooring 2 11-27-2007 01:00 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.