DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Laminate installation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/laminate-installation-137834/)

Stein 03-22-2012 08:16 AM

Laminate installation
 
I am about to lay laminate flooring in my living room. I purchased an installation kit which includes spacers. However when I removed my baseboards I see that there is about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the drywall. So if I place a spacer against the wall and try to push a floor plank against it this gap causes the spacer to lean over and get pushed back to the stud behind the drywall. How can I prevent this and keep the spacers straight?

JetSwet 03-22-2012 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein
I am about to lay laminate flooring in my living room. I purchased an installation kit which includes spacers. However when I removed my baseboards I see that there is about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the drywall. So if I place a spacer against the wall and try to push a floor plank against it this gap causes the spacer to lean over and get pushed back to the stud behind the drywall. How can I prevent this and keep the spacers straight?

You can use one of those fat carpenter pencils.
That's funny I'm doing the same thing lol



Attachment 47937

Stein 03-22-2012 09:28 AM

Yes but even with a pencil the same problem occurs. If you push against the pencil with a plank it will push back into the gap. So how do you prevent this?

JetSwet 03-22-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein
Yes but even with a pencil the same problem occurs. If you push against the pencil with a plank it will push back into the gap. So how do you prevent this?

If the row moves like that when putting your next one on the side of it you have the flat bar that came with the kit just tap the entire row back out nothing should be forced with laminate.
Just keep checking your gaps.
If you have any pieces of wood strip them down so you can use that as a spacer.

joecaption 03-22-2012 11:07 AM

The baseboards were not suppost to be removed, only the 1/4 rd. needed to go.
I've installed at least 500 boxes of laminite and never once removed the baseboards.

JetSwet 03-22-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
The baseboards were not suppost to be removed, only the 1/4 rd. needed to go.
I've installed at least 500 boxes of laminite and never once removed the baseboards.

Interesting joe I have always removed the base trim even if it had quarter round.

joecaption 03-22-2012 11:29 AM

And why would you do that? Far more work, nothing soild to set the spacers againt, the new 1/4 round or shoe would have covered up the gap needed for the expantion and contraction.
I also never use those silly spacers I use strips of plywood instead, so I do not have to keep having to deal with them tipping over or falling out of place. A single finish nail tacked into the base board will hold the plywood in place and esay to remove.

JetSwet 03-22-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
And why would you do that? Far more work, nothing soild to set the spacers againt, the new 1/4 round or shoe would have covered up the gap needed for the expantion and contraction.
I also never use those silly spacers I use strips of plywood instead, so I do not have to keep having to deal with them tipping over or falling out of place. A single finish nail tacked into the base board will hold the plywood in place and esay to remove.

A few reasons I do mostly apartments and I don't think the boss will go for it lol
I'm not a big fan of quarter round but your method will save time and I think the next time I do one in a house I will go for it that way thanks Joe!

I don't use the spacers either nor the block for that matter I have done enough to accomplish installs with out them :)

joecaption 03-22-2012 11:54 AM

Anyone I know that has rentals wants it fixed fast. Leaving the baseboard will save at least a whole day of work.

Stein 03-22-2012 12:15 PM

Laminate Installation
 
I removed the baseboard for two reasons. First of all it was easier to tear out my old carpet and the nail boards around the perimeter and secondly I don't like the look of quarter round.

joecaption 03-22-2012 07:51 PM

Good luck trying to do it that way then. No clue how your going to be able to tap in the butt joists and still leave a gap so the flooring does not buckle.

JetSwet 03-22-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Good luck trying to do it that way then. No clue how your going to be able to tap in the butt joists and still leave a gap so the flooring does not buckle.

Usually the lip of the laminate plank is enough to get it in there it's tricky but has worked for me,
Just like under door jams getting a hole piece is tough!

Stein 03-22-2012 08:22 PM

Well by removing the baseboards there is already a half inch expansion gap between the half inch drywall and the stud behind it. The drywall is high enough off the floor that there is room for the laminate board to expand underneath if it has to.

joecaption 03-23-2012 12:34 AM

Guess this must be your first time installing laminite.
Tryed locking in the butt joints yet with nothing to tap againt yet?

Wyle 03-24-2012 10:54 AM

I am no carpenter, just a tinker thinker. But my suggestion would be to find a spacer like porcelain, tile or some material that is hard enough to hold ground for installation and then smash it with a chisel and use a sweeper to collect the residue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved